Should I raise baby chicks by myself or allow my broody hen to take care of them

Sretsmart

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
So my bantam female went broody not long ago and now I have a fertile few eggs in the incubator,I have a rooster,she is already sitting on 6 of her eggs that are fertile too. They would hatch soon and I'm wondering whether I should add the additional chicks under her when they hatch in the incubator or should I raise them myself. Also what is the maximum amount of chicks a bantam can raise and what are the advantages of letting her raise them. Should I raise the ones in the incubator or should I let her take care of them

Then how many chicks can she take care of and can they be other breeds too?
I would say 7-8 since she’s got to keep them warm under her during the night. It is possible she could handle more, but than again I’m not sure how many are in your incubator? If it’s a lot it could be a bit stressful for her. Can be mix breed chicks. Just keep an eye if some get picked on

Then what are the advantages of allowing the chicks to stay with their mother
To me the advantage is huge, she takes a lot of the work load off :) she takes care of them for you and teaches them the chicken way :) plus it’s darling when they fallow the mom! I had my silkie hatch the babies. She was so protective of the babies and would watch out for them.

Back
Top Bottom