1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

should I remove the early hatchers or not *UPDATE* I decided to remove

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pullet Pimp, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I have been very good at not touching the bator since day 18. Temps and humidity have been spot on the entire time (using a Genesis 1588). On day 19 (Tuesday at 8pm) I had one of the Mille Fleur d'Uccles hatch and it has been in the bator since. It is now day 21 (Thursday) and we have a total of 14 hatch between all of the eggs. The last one just hatched about 2 hours ago. I still have 6 eggs unhatched in the bator and was wondering if I would be alright to wait another day to remove them or should I remove the "early birds" now since they are dry and fluffy and have been in the bator going on 48 hours now. I am aware that they can go 3 days without food because of absorbing the yolk, but I read on the Mississippi State University site that there is a concern of them becoming dehydrated from lack of water.

I would like to hear from those who have left them in and pulled out the fluffy ones quick. Good and bad. Did it compromise the unhatched eggs with the sudden drop in humidity and temp? I was thinking as long as there wasn't a pip it would be ok. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I think everyone has an opinion on this topic. I have only been hatching since January of 2009. For me, if it gets to 48 hours, I open the bator real quick and grab the oldest ones and get them with some food and water. Plus with that many chicks, they tend to knock the remaining eggs all over the place.

See what others have to say.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes they have been playing soccer with the other eggs [​IMG] . It lets me see if they have any pips on the sides and bottoms though.

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I just finished my first hatch as well but when it got to be 13 in there there wasn't very much room and they were knocking the eggs around so I did take them out very quickly. It didn't hurt the remaining eggs. I had two more hatch out the next day the rest were duds.

5. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

I am on my 3rd hatch. I pulled the ones that were 48 hours old and gave the others time to dry and hatch.

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I too am on my first hatch, but if it were me after 48 hours, I'd quickly reach in and move the fluffed out fuzzbutts to the brooder and then mist with a bottle that I'd filled with warm/almost hot water as I was exiting the bator.

That's just me and I'm probably going to get a rotten egg thrown at me now. [​IMG]

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Here is what I do.......right or wrong.....

IF the little fluffy butts are hindering hatching or pecking on the others etc, I remove the plastic window from my LG(not sure what kind you hatch in) and remove the biggest ones to put in the brooder. Watch your arm, the heating element hurts!

It seems if I do it this way, the humidity does not drop as fast nor does the temp.

8. emit

emit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    Charleston WV
    My first hatch too. I pulled the ones that were dry out about 4 hours or little more. I could not stand them playing football all night long. Some of the older people that has been doing this for a while will tell you that the ones that are already hatched will stimulate the other by peeping an pecking the other eggs. (I don't know about this) I will say the first to hatch really messed with the other eggs. He move them all over the bator. Yes I put a knob on mine too. I really don't think you can do much with the LG but keep your fingers crossed an hope everything turns out ok.....

9. mountainvieworchards

mountainvieworchards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I have found that the more I checkon the hatch the more they run around and if left in the dark and quiet room without me peeking in the earlier hatched chicks are less rambunctious. But if it gets too wild and they seem to be doing more harm than I can stand I wait for a moment when no eggs are pipping and I pull the fluffy chicks out quickly. I have not notice much drop in the measured relative humidity it usually drops from 62 to 58 and recovers in less than 5 minutes, and there is more variability during the day than 4 percentage points when it is closed tight. So play it by ear. Afer I have more experience I may have a different opinion.

10. adriennehearts

adriennehearts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    the eggs will be ok!!

always think of nature!!

its ok they are fine.

and congrats!![​IMG]:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by