Should I rescue standard intact Jack???

farmchick897

Songster
Jun 20, 2010
Kentucky
What are the drawbacks of rescuing an intact male? Yes, get him gelded, but does that mean he will settle down and be safe to put in with other animals? A gelded donkey would only be good for livestock guarding right? I don't want to end up with him, so if my chances of finding him another home are slim then I can't save him. What should I look for that would say to me "stay away"?

Last edited:
Yes - you should rescue him

But, that's just me
tongue.png
)

Although you should have some concerns & introduce him under supervision - I'd say yes, if you can afford him - rescue him. I currently have 2 jacks on my farm & I have had very few behavior issues with them. That being said - I have also known of jacks who have killed sheep, goats & calves - none were mine but were animals of friends. At our farm each jack has either a jenny or is bonded to a sheep/goat herd and that is why we avoid issues....
As to gelding.... if he is an older animal (say above 3 or 4 years) & he is already showing signs of aggression - gelding will not help as this behavior is a learned behavior - if he only shows aggression when a jenny or mare is in heat - then gelding may help as that is a response to breeding or frustration from not breeding!
We have had our original jack for 15 years now & only ever had a one time issue with him - we had 2 black goat kids one year (at that time we rarely had solid black kids) & he bit both of them in the back & killed them - I think he thought they were dogs & since they were amongst the herd - he felt they threatened the herd. One & only time it ever happened & we have had numerous black kids since then. My other jack gets in fractious moods sometimes & will chase the sheep - usually at feeding time & although he chases & nips at them he has never killed or stomped the sheep - of course I have tried to breack him of this by using a BB gun with some success. He doesn't do it often anymore but occaisionally he will snort, stomp, fart & go after them - the sheep have learned to avoid him when he acts up. He has been with the herd for 5 years now & normally guards them, eats with them & sleeps among them.... so other than discouraging it when it occurs I do not worry about it - he never tries after the lambs - just the adults. I also have 2 jennies with him & the sheep - they present NO problem ever - and he does seem to act out more when I seperate the jennies from him.
Currently the older jack is seperate from the goats/sheep (we culled down & combined the goats (fainters) & sheep (soay) to conserve pasture & rotate more effectively). This older jack is now in a 4 acre pasture with a 14 year old jenny & 12 year old shetland pony stud - there have been no issues between the studs & they all are grazing buddies.... of course, the animals on my farm are all long term inhabitants & "know" each other & of course, they are all eccentric in their own ways (like the rooster who lives with the goat herd & "roosts" on the back of my herd billy - rather than live with the other free ranged barn chickens!).

As to having him long term - around here - donkeys are popular as herd protectors but at only certain times of the year can you place them - most of the year you couldn't give one away.... so I think you need to research your area or either be resigned to the possibility that you may have him for some time. Good Luck!

Do you know his history and the reason that he needs to be rescued. As you are well aware, temperment can be an issue. A good jack can be a joy to have- a bad jack a true nightmare.

Quote:
This is a really nice reply, nop169. I think you gave the poster a fair and balanced view of the animal she (he?) is thinking on getting. Good job!

You can train a donkey to do anything, pull a cart, give pony rides, be a pack animal, even if its out to the back acreage.
I would geld, and have him in a quarantine pen near the other animals for at least 2 weeks. IF you have horses or pony's.. mare's especially. Keep him separate from them for at least 6 weeks..
He can still have viable stuff in his "tract" even if castrated.
There are great web sites that can help you ... but remember one main thing..
NEVER NEVER EVER hit a donkey or mule.. they will remember... training them is like training a smart dog...
Military precision, the same routine.. they love it.

Carol

Thanks for the responses. I will know more Tuesday, going to go get him. I was told he has a nice personality, but he has issues with trimming hooves. Have some excellent trainers that I trust will help me work with him and there is a gelding clinic coming in 2 weeks that will charge $15, can't beat that

Last edited:
I had to sell my standard Jenny because she would pick up the sheep and goats and throw them. I couldnt feed her by any animal smaller or she would get aggressive.

Picked up my new boy today, he has been such a sweetie. His name is Mathew, but I don't like it, so looking for other name options. He is 9-10 years of age, under weight but not too bad, hooves are bad.. They did hack saw the fronts off, but they are crooked and twisted under and it's affecting his whole legs. He has old barb wire wounds down both sides of his body that wrap around the inside of his legs. I did see his behavior around her other stallions and jacks as well as her dogs and goats, he seems pretty mellow. I took him to vets office and pulled Coggins, the next step is gelding him and working on those hooves.

Last edited:
oh my what a state the poor thing so glad you could rescue him. he sounds like he has a good temprement and im sure with the love and care he is now getting he will be one happy jack good luck and best wishes getting this cutie back to good health.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom