should I return this waterer????

MysticScorpio82

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Maine, USA
I was so excited, thinking I was ready for my chicks (due to arrive either tomorrow or friday) but when I went to washer the waterer I bought, it turns out it is made for baby quails, not chicks. Do you think that this "oopsy" will be ok, or should I return it and get a waterer for chicks?

That's just it, I don't know if it will be large enough for my chicks. I am new to this. Here is a picture from TSC, maybe it will help?

This is the Quail waterer base (that I have at the moment):

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...02|16201|34408?listingPage=true&Special=false

Here is a chick waterer, for size comparison:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...02|16201|34404?listingPage=true&Special=false

Do you think that the Quail size will be big enough, or do I need to return it for the chick size?

Looks like the quail base is for full grown quail and bantam chicken so it should be fine for chicks. You will prob. need to up size later. But if you are not too far from the TSC return it and get what you want.

Last edited:
It will be fine for now, you'll be upgrading soon enough anyways! They grow fast, enjoy them while they're young! OHMG, I sound like I'm talking about human babies, lol!!
lol.png

Return it if you can, but if not, it will work. They will outgrow it soon enough and you will be up to at least the 1 gallon size.

On a note about the larger size.....I recently bought a 1 gallon waterer from a feed store. It had 3 little legs that folded out on the bottom which I thought was great. Not so. Less than 2 weeks and one of the legs broke which cracked the plastic on the bottom and it will not hold water. We went to TSC and picked up their 1 gallon size with a flat bottom.

Thats exactly what I use too! It does just fine with the chicks till they feather out. Just mack sure none of your bedding gets into it and keeps them from getting a drink.
big_smile.png

I do not use the plastic bases. I like the galvanized steel ones.

The water goes through three holes and not just one "lip".

I put sterile glass in the rim so the chicks will not drown.

It takes but a week and the glass beads come out and the

chicks are drinking up a storm.

They grow incredibly fast !!!

Back
Top Bottom