Should I separate 3 month old chick with wry neck?

Jeninoz

Songster
Jan 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
Tearfully this morning I scooped up my 3 month old silkie from the bottom of the coop while the others all hopped out happily. I thought he has been attacked by an older hen and took him to the vet. He was and is floppy and has ‘wry neck’ and tremors and dilated pupils.
The vet saved him but the cause isn’t known. It didn’t occur to me to ask the vet about separating him from the others at night? I could keep the older hen separate or keep him totally separate. I don’t want him to feel lonely or get sat on . Just for now I separated him. We are not sure if he will survive.. any ideas?

Tearfully this morning I scooped up my 3 month old silkie from the bottom of the coop while the others all hopped out happily. I thought he has been attacked by an older hen and took him to the vet. He was and is floppy and has ‘wry neck’ and tremors and dilated pupils.
The vet saved him but the cause isn’t known. It didn’t occur to me to ask the vet about separating him from the others at night? I could keep the older hen separate or keep him totally separate. I don’t want him to feel lonely or get sat on . Just for now I separated him. We are not sure if he will survive.. any ideas?
I'm sorry about your Silkie.
I would keep him separated since there's a possibility that he was trampled by the older hen.
IF you have room in your coop, set up a wire dog kennel so he is near the flock - that's if you feel like he will be warm enough - I think you are probably in fall/autumn right now? If that's not possible, then bring him in.
What course of treatment did the vet prescribe for your Silkie?

Since he may have been injured, it would be better to separate him initially while you treat him. You could bring his mates in for short visits to see how he does. Give vitamin E 400 IU plus some thiamine (B1) daily. Any B complex or poultry vitamin should have some B1. Those are the best treatments for wry neck. Feed him several times a day, a mixture of very wet chick feed with a small amount of cooked egg and a lot of water while he is ill.

It might be better to keep him in the coop in a dog crate if possible to remain part of the flock. Wry neck can be very common in silkies, and can be caused by a head or neck injury, a vitamin E or B1 deficiency, and is seen in certain diseases such as Mareks disease and a few others. Hopefully, he will get better soon.

I'm sorry about your Silkie.
I would keep him separated since there's a possibility that he was trampled by the older hen.
IF you have room in your coop, set up a wire dog kennel so he is near the flock - that's if you feel like he will be warm enough - I think you are probably in fall/autumn right now? If that's not possible, then bring him in.
What course of treatment did the vet prescribe for your Silkie?
Thank you, yes just entered autumn/fall and I just brought him in for tonight to be safe. The vet gave him something to make him more comfortable, some fluids, vitamin B and some antibiotics, and asked me to use a dropper to give water 5x a day.

Update: individual sweetcorn kernels (canned) was the thing that helped him to eat and drink. Thankfully he did survive and grew up to be a sweet much loved and fine rooster 🥰

Back
Top Bottom