Should I separate monogamous roo?

Amanda T

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Hi all,I’m new to raising quail - I have 3 hens and a roo. The roo has picked a favorite hen and she is the only one who shows signs of frequent mating, she’s slightly balding and the other two are fine. I’m wondering if I should separate her out or remove the roo for awhile (I’m just raising for eggs, not chicks/incubation etc). She seems fine and has no injuries but she is missing a lot of feathers on the back of her head and I’m not sure when too much is too much. Any advice? I’ll be adding more hens to the flock soon and hoping the roo will realize there are more fish in the sea…. Just don’t want her to get too overworked!

Hi all,I’m new to raising quail - I have 3 hens and a roo. The roo has picked a favorite hen and she is the only one who shows signs of frequent mating, she’s slightly balding and the other two are fine. I’m wondering if I should separate her out or remove the roo for awhile (I’m just raising for eggs, not chicks/incubation etc). She seems fine and has no injuries but she is missing a lot of feathers on the back of her head and I’m not sure when too much is too much. Any advice? I’ll be adding more hens to the flock soon and hoping the roo will realize there are more fish in the sea…. Just don’t want her to get too overworked!
If it helps, I took mine to choose his own 2 new girlfriends to add to 2 he had after his favourite died and its worked a treat. Now they all get time off !!! Just put him in with a selection and it was 'love' at first sight! 😏

The roo may be active with all three hens. The one with the missing feathers on her head may just be the most resistant to mating. 😉

Back
Top Bottom