Should I separate my baby bully?

HickoryChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
I have 14 5-week-old chicks in a brooder. Until today, they have all got along without any incidents. Two of my chicks had pecking wounds, one pretty significant. I blue coated them and put a red light on them, and waited and watched to find out who was the culprit. Didn’t take long. One fiesty little chick ( the smallest one) was running around pulling everyone’s feathers out! I separated her. How long should I keep her separated? Will it help her behavior? I will not be able to move them to a larger space for another week because of the weather.

At 5 weeks, they should be fully feathered or close to it by now. How cold is it going to be where you are? How big is their brooder? How warm is it in the brooder? They may be running out of room, or they may be getting too warm. They really don't need a heat lamp inside at 5 weeks.

They are running out of room, but it’s between 20-30 degrees at night for the next week. I had removed the heat lamp, but just put it back with a red light to help deter pecking the wounded chicks.

They are running out of room, but it’s between 20-30 degrees at night for the next week. I had removed the heat lamp, but just put it back with a red light to help deter pecking the wounded chicks.
You could put them out and use a heat lamp if you feel they need it. Just put it in a far corner of the coop so they can get away from the heat if they don't need it, and make sure it's well secured. Go out and check on them at night and see if they're using it or not. If they're huddled away from the light, you know they don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom