Should I seperate my hen??

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
I have a hen who is always getting bullied by the others. I always keep and eye on her and she has been doing alright. Today I saw her and she is puffed up and not really moving around. I have her some food and water but she is not really drinking. We have a little seperate area that I can put her in so she is not with the other chickens.
Should I put her in there for a while so then she can get better and to get away from the other hens who are bullying her?

Attachments

• 5AD95909-E628-4747-924B-F6AEA2EFE382.jpeg
    5AD95909-E628-4747-924B-F6AEA2EFE382.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 5
I had a sick hen who kept getting bullied by the rest of her flock mates. I removed her nursed her back to good health and reintroduced her, she's now healthy and happy laying eggs daily. Do you know what's wrong with your hen? Have you felt her crop and is it empty in the mornings?

If you have a dog crate where you can attach food and water securely, she can remain with the others being a part of the flock without bullying ot being kept from food. If you need to remove her for a couple of days to get her eating some healthy food, that would be fine. Dry and some wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, canned cat food or tuna are all good things to offer in moderation, but chicken feed is the primary food needed. A little plain yogurt for probiotics does not hurt, and some vitamin B complex crushed into food may help.

I had a hen who had some balance issues, and became a target for bullying. She had to be separated during the day across the fence from the others for awhile until they finally accepted her back again.

Is there one specific bully, or is it a collective flock thing? If there is one specific bully, you could remove the bully. This would force the bully to regain her spot in the pecking order, instead of making it harder for the bullied one.

Thank-you guys, it is now the next day and the separate place that she was in, is in where all of the other hens were so she was not away from them. She looked better today so I am going to keep her in there for a few more days until she is 100% ready to go back out with the others. I think once she is out I might the bullies in a separate place to give them a lesson, but I’m not sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom