Should I show cows?

4hduckproject

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2018
Next year I'd like to show cows but I don't know much about them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what breed I should get and what class I should enter in? I can't keep them on my property but there are stalls down the road from me that might allow me to keep one or two there. Also, should I get one or two cows?

Maybe try started calves. It is a fun project my boys participated in while in 4-H.
Where will the cow be? They usually need care at least twice a day. Maybe more if you go with the started calf.

Next year I'd like to show cows but I don't know much about them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what breed I should get and what class I should enter in? I can't keep them on my property but there are stalls down the road from me that might allow me to keep one or two there. Also, should I get one or two cows?
Just stalls? No turnout? Is the place down the road a cattle operation, or ran by people familiar with cattle? I would not haul off and buy a calf just to keep it in a stall permanently... If you've never kept cattle, you need some sort of mentor, they have their own host of needs and possible health concerns.

Just stalls? No turnout? Is the place down the road a cattle operation, or ran by people familiar with cattle? I would not haul off and buy a calf just to keep it in a stall permanently... If you've never kept cattle, you need some sort of mentor, they have their own host of needs and possible health concerns.
The stalls are mainly for horses- I’ll have to call and ask about keeping a cow there. There’s plenty of outdoor land for the animals, though.

Maybe try started calves. It is a fun project my boys participated in while in 4-H.
Where will the cow be? They usually need care at least twice a day. Maybe more if you go with the started calf.
I would definitely start with a calf- our fair requires the heifers and steers to be pretty young. The stalls near me are right down the street and I could walk there twice or more a day, which I’ll need to if I decide to get a calf.

anyone have any suggestions on what breeds the best? Also would you suggest getting one or two cows to start with?

Start by joining 4H or FFA or getting some experience with cattle! Then see about showing, and what breeds are available and useful locally. Then, later, see where nice healthy calves can be found, and what it will cost to manage their needs.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom