Should I start a small poultry farm? Ameraucanas?

PapaRo

Songster
Jan 12, 2021
Lorane Oregon
Next summer I would like to build and start a little poultry farm with about 100 hens or so. I’m needing a retirement business that keeps me busy. My thought was to have about 20 each: Wheaten, blue maple, white, black ameraucanas with a large assortment of different roosters for breading. I would probably want to strategize on the colors of ameraucanas and the breeds of roosters etc. I would sell chicks and fertilized eggs etc. (pure breeds and Easter Eggers) I have everything I need to start just need to build the compound and buy the stock to start. I would like to be profitable... what y’all think?
44B91E9B-B0EB-4FB3-A2CA-877C6E7BBF24.jpeg

I'm a few years from retirement myself. It sounds like a great idea, as long as you remember to enjoy it. I'm sure you've thought about this, but try to find away to streamline the tasks and set it up in away you're not married to it, so if you wanted to take off for a few days and enjoy yourself, that you can do that.

I think the best investment would be automated doors these would be a number 1 priority. Second would be feeders and waterers capable of multiple day capacities. As stated this will allow you to get away if need be. It will remove the burden from having to ask and depend on others. I would assume if you had to leave or got sick for a few days taking care of 100 birds could go south pretty fast.
I say this because I just retired in December 2019 and my 88 year old father and 85 year old mom have become quite frail I take dad to dialysis twice a week plus all there Dr. appointments, dropping meals etc. COVID-19 hasn’t helped.
I‘m not trying to discourage you. It sounds like a fantastic goal just being prepared for some unplanned events would help.

Stepnout is right on target. That was what I was referring to. I only have 18 hens, but I have a water built from a 55 gal drum that I refill every 2-3 months. I have a feeder that I refill monthly. And on the scale you talking about, some roll away nest boxes would make it even easier. I would also suggest apple cider vinegar, that's likely to start a debate on this forum, but I have found it beneficial for my use, Of course I'm not at the scale your undertaking. But I have a full time job, in addition to my dogs, goats, bees, chickens, and most importantly the grand kids, so I don't want to spend my time on to many chores

Define profit- I sell enough eggs on my roadside cooler to pay their feed bill. I have a nice sign and people come up the drive and I have a large cooler on wheels that they help themselves and leave the money in the cooler. It is close to the house and I have had no problems. I am nine months into this adventure, so not bad. I have had mixed results buying day old chicks and raising to eight weeks old selling pullets. Covid shut down the poultry auctions. If I counted the cost of remaking a shed into my dream chicken coop ($800) I have not recouped the initial cost of set up. So for most of us I do not think a backyard operation makes a profit. It does however make an income.
Do research every labor saving trick you can find that works for you. I do think you can have fun and make income from a backyard set up.

It does sound like automation and lean concepts are some of the biggest concerns. I have though about this for several months actually and I am with y’all. It will be quite a undertaking to get the right setup and I’m sure I’ll be on byc allot... lol ... I do plan on spending allot of effort to building several large coops/runs, build an large shed for storage, and a incubation & brooding building. Was thinking that I would collect and incubate on a weekly schedule and sell chicks weekly. I would like to hatch 400-500 chicks per week at least during peak season. Would have a website and sell online as well as local. Was thinking I would spend everyday working like I always have, and hire a young person to help out each day. Maybe that’s too much but I’m hyper and ambitious.. lol

Back
Top Bottom