Should I start over?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BawGock, Jan 22, 2009.

1. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi everybody!
    This is my first post to this forum. I wish I had found this forum before I started incubating some eggs for the first time.
    Got a Hovabator #1588 with the #1610m egg turner for Christmas.
    Thought I'd make a practice run using my own barnyard eggs before using purchased eggs.
    Set it up following GQF's directions....filling the C trough only and started incubating 12 eggs on 1/18.
    Then I found this site (thank God!) and started reading about dry incubation. Went to Radio Shack and bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer combo and put it in the incubator. Oh no! It was reading 79% humidity! [​IMG]
    Now the household humidity was quite low (22%) so I took the red plug off the top of the incubator and now the humidity inside the incubator is running between 48-50%.
    I did not remove the water from the C trough.
    The temperature looks great and it's nice to have a second thermometer in addition to the one that came with the incubator.
    But now I'm worried that the humidity was too high for too long to allow for the proper dehydration of the eggs.
    I'm wondering if I should just pitch the eggs and start over again?
    I have not candled the eggs yet, was going to do that on day 7 and I am making my coffee can candler today.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Carolyn

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I would just leave it alone and see what you get. Your first 2 or 3 hatches in the Hovabator will let you know what works and what doesn't.

Personally, I have found that high humidity helps my hatches. We have had a lot of discussion about this on the forum and from what I have gathered, higher elevations need higher humidity. Many of the people who use dry humidity live at lower elevations and have higher relative humidity.

I tried dry incubation all summer and had dismal results. I started upping the humidity and have gotten much better results.

In my 1588, I don't even worry about the temps and humidity anymore. I just fill up the C-tray and wait 21 days and have decent hatches. Good luck to you!

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I almost forgot..... [​IMG] Neighbor!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would wait it out and see what happens. Candle at day 7 and again on day 10 looking for change and growth. You'll be surprised at how strong these little gems can be.

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'd just wait and see, too. It's not been that long, so they may still be fine.

And, [​IMG]

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I wanted to add that I don't usually candle until day 10 or 11 because I can see much better then. I usually only open it on day 11 and day 18. Day 11 to candle and day 18 to remove the turner and put the eggs in a carton. I add water by using a funnel.

7. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Thanks everyone!
    I'll stop kicking myself......for now;)
    And I'll keep you all posted on what happens.
    Carolyn

8. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Do not start over. You should be fine if it was not at 78% for long. I doubt that is an accurate reading. I am having trouble getting mine above 40 % right now with the C channel only. RH is running in the 30% range here. You can check the accuracy of you Hygrometer. Check this site. http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_4.htm

If
    you paid more than $ 27.00 for you Ther/Hygro. then you paid to much. I use a Fluckers, the first one I bought was dead on accurate but the second one is off by 6% in the humidity. Fluckers are nice small units and availabel at PetSmart in the Tropical pet section. I also have a Radio shack thermometer with a probe but it is off by several degrees.

Check you temperature against a human mercury thermometer and calibrate you hygrometer as described. You should be fine once you are sure both are accurate.

Keep records of how your hatch progresses and make notes on the length of time the humidity reading was high. You will learn from this and since it is a trial run ( very good idea by the way) you will have a much better feeling with your next batch of expensive eggs.

Keep in mind that the Dry incubation method is very dependent on the relative humidity in the region you live. I am originally from Nevada and it would not work there at all. I have have good luck here in the summer with keeping humidity at around 40 % during the first 15 days and somewhere between 65 and 70% during the last three days.

I am going to attach a chart that will give you guidlines on what your air cell should look like during the process. This tell you how you are doing with the evaporation process and you can always adjust to meet your particular needs. Good Luck

[​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Wait to see what happens before you do anything, just like everyone is telling you to do! You never know, everything might come out okay in the end. The only way you will know, is to wait it out and see. [​IMG]

Glad you found us! WELCOME!

10. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Thanks everyone, you guys are making me feel so welcome!
    I'm glad I found you all!
    I have a question for Buster...do you leave the red plug in on your 1588? I live at 2500ft, low altitude for ID;)
    And Jimnjay, thanks for the link...just put my hygrometer in a ziplok bag with a mug of salt & h2o, I'll let you know how the RS hygrometer does.
    Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by