Should I still get chicks at this point?

Clemmy

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
Im considering getting chicks, but Im worried that it will be too cold to put them outside by the time that they are old enough. I live in Rhode Island so it can get pretty cold even in October. I just wanted to make sure it's okay to expose them to the cold weather so suddenly.

thank you!

I brood my chicks outside in the barn. I use a Mama Heating Pad in my brooder. My brooder is one of those little coop/run combos that you can buy at the farm stores - about 3.5' x 7'. I close off the pop door and the little chicks stay in the coop part until they are big enough to use the ramp - usually around 3 weeks. Then they have the entire coop area until they are too big for that small of a space. Then they have the entire stall to play in until they are big enough to join the main flock.
Last year I got 15 meat birds around this time. The only drawback was butchering in the beginning of winter - which was cold and not good.
My main concern would be if you are brooding in the house, how will you get them acclimated to the colder outdoor temps. Brooding outside, you will be fine.

It is not to late. You might just have to keep them on the heat lamp longer. I got chicks in late spring, by six weeks it was 90 degrees without the heat lamp. You won’t have that kind of experience but as long as you know what you are doing and have a good setup and place to keep em warm and we’re they can be 10 weeks old you’ll be good.

Im considering getting chicks, but Im worried that it will be too cold to put them outside by the time that they are old enough. I live in Rhode Island so it can get pretty cold even in October. I just wanted to make sure it's okay to expose them to the cold weather so suddenly.

thank you!
Do you already have any chickens?
If not, is your coop ready to go?

I do have two other older hens, that are stating to slow down on laying. We are planning on building the chicks a separate coop. So should I consider letting them outside around 10 weeks? I will slowly transition them into the cold weather if we order them now as day old chicks. I am planning to order them off MyPetChicken and they would come by september 23. By the time they would be 10 weeks old, It would be around thanksgiving. Should I just transition them from inside to outside right away at 10 weeks, or do I need a more smooth transition ie: bring them to our garage, a cooler environment at 6-8 weeks, then from there we move them outside at 10 weeks, Or maybe start bringing them outside to peck at the grass around 4-5 weeks? I live in new england, so fall can get pretty cold.

first off it depends if your prepped to have chicks outside. This would be last month I would try chicks without a momma though, they shouldn't need extra heat for longer if you have time to start reducing it, my chicks still don't want heat during the day after first day just a regular light bulb at night for minimal help but letting mother nature kick in when nights were getting down close to freezing, but they did have soem strab with sand in it on floor of coop, they will be feathered enough to keep warm in well ventilated coop that is secure. Chickens not raised with constant temps tend to do better than ones that have constant temps after their feathers are in.

Do yourself a huge favor and build a brooder inside the new coop this winter. Then in the spring you can have a heat pad or plate setup ready to go in the coop/brooder. Way easier for you and I believe healthier for the new chicks to start out where they will be living (chickens hate change). You may even get a better selection of breeds as some are harder to get now verses the spring.

Back
Top Bottom