Should I still use hardware cloth for a daytime run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Farmer Mike S, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Farmer Mike S

Farmer Mike S Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'm adding another 8x4 section onto my 8x4 run for my five chickens because 32 square feet is too small for the 5 who spend most the day in there. On my cost estimate, for a simple 2x4 framed run with no roof, the total was about $150 all together, with $100 being the cost of the hardware cloth, about 2/3 of the total project cost. This will only be a day time run, I will keep the original run closed at night which is very secure. Im just wondering though, is the $100 worth it? Or is there an alternative?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't use it for day space.
    Just something that will keep dogs, fox and hawks out.
    Could be hog wire/welded wire or something like remesh covered with chicken wire to keep the chickens in.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We did. We have bobcats in our area so we needed it to be strong.

[​IMG]

4. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    My concern would be rats getting in to get at the food.

5. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    We have welded fencing with 2"x 4" squares that comes in 4' x 50' rolls and costs about $50 up here. We get it at the Co-op and use it for chicken and dog runs. That would give you a 20' x 8' run for $50 plus a couple of 2x4s. True, a dedicated dog could get over it but our golden is trained not to. The fencing is fairly stiff and when laid out in a curve needs no posts....

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

We don't use hardware cloth for runs either. How much daytime security you need depends on your location and what predators or dogs you may have roaming about in the daytime. Some people need more, some get by with less. We used chain link dog kennel panels with heavy duty shade cloth over the top. My birds are secured in their coop at night and I don't have much in the way of daytime predators due to activity near the barn all day. I just needed to keep dogs and hawks out. I do have a hot wire around the outside for added security.

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I built my run from cow panels and covered it with hardware cloth. The coop and run are skirted with 2' wire laid on the ground. I have a hole in the back of the coop that the girls go in and out of the run, it is never closed up, hence the extra security on the run. Also have a Great Pyrnees that was given to me because she killed chickens. Took 2 years, but she is now a chicken GUARD! I live in the middle of town, just a few blocks from city hall. We have predators, possums, raccoons, hawks and feral cats. My backyard fence is 4' chain link that we raised another 2' to keep the Great Pyrenees in the yard. I used concrete wire on the end and covered it with hardware cloth. The run is 3 cow panels and measures 8'x12'. I let them out in the yard in the late afternoons and they put themselves up at night. Then I close their coop door.

I would go with the hardware cloth, and put a roof on it. Do you leave during the day? Even if you are home all day, predators have been known to strike during the day. Compare the cost of hardware cloth to the cost of replacing your hens.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Predators come in the form of domestic animals as well such as dogs. You are taking a chance not using hardware cloth or something that is near its equivalency.
    The final decision rest with you.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    yeah but welded wire with bigger gaps (e.g 2 inch ones) are cheaper and will still keep dogs out.

10. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I think you would be alright where you birds are housed in the coop at night.

Raccoons can kill chickens by eating through the wire but they are mainly nocturnal animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by