1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I stop the chick starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wrldlygrrl, May 1, 2011.

1. wrldlygrrl

wrldlygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Decatur, GA
    My flock is 14 weeks old...is it time to change their feed from chick starter and a few snacky things? What's the best transition food for my pullets? And look what a friend gave me? Any ideas of breed or gender? or do I need to change forums?
    Thanks all around!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    It should be soon... I wonder as well [​IMG]

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I switch them from the starter to the layer at around 16-20 weeks, some of them, like the meat chickens and some of the boys stay on it a little bit longer.

As long as they have access to the outside or grit you can start giving them snacky stuff anytime, in moderation. [​IMG]

I would say your "gift" is a cockerel (a boy) but I'm not sure what kind...

Good luck!

4. miabyrer

miabyrer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Walkerton, IN
    I started my chicks on snacks and treats at 6 weeks. Check the back of the feed bag, it will say when you should start and stop using the feed when it says. This can be different for each brand of feed. One of my starters said to switch at 6 weeks and the other said 10 weeks.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually you switch from starter to grower to layer, I think you start the grower around 8-10 weeks -- but around here they mostly sell "starter/grower" -- one feed -- used til they start laying. I'm sure they'll be fine on your starter til they start laying.

6. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I start mixing the grower pellets with the starter crumples around this time 14 weeks. I give them treats the first week they are born like boiled egg, grass clippings (cut into small pieces), bread crumbs. I move up to the other treats after a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by