Should I stop the chick starter?

wrldlygrrl

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Decatur, GA
My flock is 14 weeks old...is it time to change their feed from chick starter and a few snacky things? What's the best transition food for my pullets? And look what a friend gave me? Any ideas of breed or gender? or do I need to change forums?
Thanks all around!
88386_dsc04067.jpg

88386_dsc04065.jpg

88386_dsc04064.jpg

88386_dsc04066.jpg

I switch them from the starter to the layer at around 16-20 weeks, some of them, like the meat chickens and some of the boys stay on it a little bit longer.

As long as they have access to the outside or grit you can start giving them snacky stuff anytime, in moderation.
smile.png

I would say your "gift" is a cockerel (a boy) but I'm not sure what kind...

Good luck!

I started my chicks on snacks and treats at 6 weeks. Check the back of the feed bag, it will say when you should start and stop using the feed when it says. This can be different for each brand of feed. One of my starters said to switch at 6 weeks and the other said 10 weeks.

Usually you switch from starter to grower to layer, I think you start the grower around 8-10 weeks -- but around here they mostly sell "starter/grower" -- one feed -- used til they start laying. I'm sure they'll be fine on your starter til they start laying.

I start mixing the grower pellets with the starter crumples around this time 14 weeks. I give them treats the first week they are born like boiled egg, grass clippings (cut into small pieces), bread crumbs. I move up to the other treats after a month.

Back
Top Bottom