Should I switch broodies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by racuda, Apr 28, 2009.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a cochin bantam sitting on 8 serama eggs for the past week. Then I had a smallish OEGB go broodie (she has hatched chicks before), and I have 10 Silkie eggs coming tomorrow.

Should I switch the 8 serama eggs from the cochin to the OEGB and give the 10 silkie eggs to the cochin? The reason I am wondering is I that 10 silkie eggs might be too much for the OEGB.

If I do switch, will it be detrimental to the seramas to change broodies in mid-stream?

Or, am I worrying for nothing and the OEGB can handle 10 silkie eggs with no problem?

Here is a pic of the OEGB in question. She is the brown one in the middle.

[​IMG]

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I dont know if the Oeg can cover 10 silkie eggs, if not then I would swith eggs, the first set of eggs have no clue who is sitting on them, so they will be fine, unless you let them know that thier original mother switched for silkies. [​IMG] then they will be tramatized for sure. Often hens will switch boxes if let out at the same time, first one back just grabs a nest, and next one settles for what is left.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have had a bantam cochin cover seventeen silkie sized eggs, so I should think the OE should be able to do around half that. Make the nest deep, pad the sides well with bedding. Not shavings, but straw, hay, anything that will hold a bowl shape when she gets up. She should look like she is flat in the nest, even with her back, not sitting on a pile of eggs and bedding. You will be surprised at how many she can cover if you help her build a deep nest that is snug for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by