Should I switch to layer feed?

Dirty Farmer

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I have four pullets. A fat GLW and a Red Star that are 21 weeks old and two Buff Orpingtons that are about 19 weeks old. They have been an a diet of grower feed and the occasional cracked corn as treats. I have about a weeks worth of the grower feed left for them.

My question is... the next bag of feed that I buy, should I just purchase the layer feed, and switch them over now? Or stay with the grower feed, untill they decide to start popping out breakfast? Then switch them at that time.

Yes, they are old enough to start on the layer feed. the extra calcium in the layer feed will not hurt them at their age. You should be seeing eggs any time now.

Yupper, it's time. I like you wait until the last bag of starter or grower is done then switch. This year the pullets were 20 weeks when it ran out and the hens eating grower still had hard shells and eggs every day.

Our roos are eating layer food along with the hens and are doing fine. They're not getting in touch with their feminine side or anything. Wish they would, there'd be less crowing!

Quote:
No eggs from our roos either LOLOL!!! Yes, I wish there was a "4am-crow-be-gone" food. just for the nighttime crows, of course.

Our roos have been eating anything the hens/pullets eat, they are fine.

The thing with feed is mostly about the protein amount and the layer has extra calcium in it for egg shell production. Too much calcium can be harmful for younger chix but not a problem when they get older either roo or hen. So the roo's have to eat what the hen's eat and you can switch if you want or keep feeding what you have been feeding already.

Back
Top Bottom