Should I take the hatched chick from the broody hen? Staggered hatch

so glad to hear it worked out for you. I wish I had an incubator to even do this, even though I had a bad experience last time.

Out of all the hens, she's the only one broody. To be honest she's being an angle. Food and water are next to her so should be ok. I'm thinking of doing what someone mentioned above about taking the chick out during the day and popping it back in the evening only because it's getting quite adventurous and where mama hen would sleep most of the time, she's now awake almost all day.

Not sure what else to do other than keep an eye on them both. and pray for a second hatch soon.

Out of the eggs, I removed two as they weren't viable so down to 11 now.
Sounds like you've got a good plan! I'm constantly surprised at what an incredible job the moms do, solutions I hadn't even considered. There may be a nearby incubator if you need to borrow one if you have any local classifieds, etc.

Please keep us posted on how it is going!
Will do. As of this moment, both are fast asleep.

28a1d48216edc902860c00401526695b.jpg

Drama in the brood box.

The good news first: Another egg is pipped so chick #2 soon!

The bad news: Went to check on mama hen as she was agitated. Opened the brood box and immediately smelt the awful stench of broody poop.
Lifted her off, found 5 of the 11 eggs and the chick completely smothered in poop :barnie

Grabbed the nearest tea towels from the kitchen wrapped the eggs in those, bought them into the kitchen and washed them thoroughly in warm water. tried to make it the right temp. then wife dried them gently with a hairdryer making sure not to overheat them and dry them out totally but still keep them warm.

While wife managed that, grabbed the broody and washed her backside in the kitchen sink with warm water as she too was covered in poop. Hairdried her down too. Didn't wash the chick as I feared it was too small to get drenched, but tissue wiped it down as much as I could.

Yes...wife is now talking to legal counsel. First her favorite teatowel, then the kitchen sink!

I think she'll get over it but my concern is the eggs...they were stained with poop marks and I have no idea how long they were covered in it for.

Did I do the right thing? Will the chicks in the eggs be affected? The pipped egg got washed first, and that's when I noticed the pip... :hit

That broody stench is the worst! We had several poop-smothered eggs and the hen was done. I washed them and hatched them in the incubator without issue. Congratulations on a second pip!!

Yesterday was a busy day so didn't get a chance to update, however, we now have 5 amazing healthy little fluffy butts and 1 more egg pipped.

Yesterday I purchased an emergency incubator with same-day delivery and it paid dividends within hours of arriving as one of the eggs got crushed under the hen. Don't know how long it was there for in that state but I put it in the incubator to see if I could save it, and in a few hours started hearing chirping. With a bit of help, the little one made it and now with its family.

15c0dafc0d599e2d9fb379ca9d161417.jpg
20210525_003257.jpg
fef5dd158579271710208653002749b5.jpg

During all of that, the hen hatched two also and now 6 eggs left and mama staying put! :yesss:

20210525_135112.jpg
20210525_135024.jpg

Last edited:
You and your broody have been doing great! Ive not had internet signal for a few days, & so couldnt warn you to do your best not to let her poop on the eggs. In that photo i posted a few days ago, the short distance i between my broodys nest box and her food was for exactly that reason; so no chance of poop getting sprayed on eggs. I dont leave food accessible to mama hen while she is in the nestbox for exactly the same reason.

But since it happened, your action to wash/clean off the eggs, baby chick & mama hen was the right thing to do. Yes, washing eggs can introduce bacteria through the porous egg shell, but not as much as allowing poop to remain on hatching eggs and baby chicks. And In case you dont know, it is always desirable to wash eggs with Warm water, always warmer than the egg itself. The albumen and yolk of the egg will then swell against the shell and help keep bacteria from crossing the porous eggshell barrier. If water cooler than the egg is used to wash a dirty egg, the albumen and yolk will contract, which leaves room for bacteria to enter. This "washing rule" applies to eggs for eating as well as hatching eggs. It is always preferable to not wash hatching eggs at all.

Your actions and instincts through the ongoing hatching process have been spot-on and correct. Keep up the great work and keep us posted!

So it's getting a bit crowded under her, and she has six 7 eggs to go.

I'm wondering if I should bring 2 or 3 of the eldest chicks inside and keep them in a brooder just to get her and the following chicks some space but more importantly keep her on the eggs that remain. It's now day 28 for her.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes definitely bring thw oldest chicks inside. You can bring ALL but one chick to temporary indoor brooder if u choose. (As long as chicks are dried and on their feet.) A lone chick under mom wont be distressed like the lone chick in the brooder was.

Back
Top Bottom