Should I trade chickens for a MULE?????

I wouldn't recommend it. For one thing, people don't just give animals away unless there's a problem with the animal. Also, if you do not have experience with large animals, I don't think a mule is a good one to start with. Did the people say why it has to go ASAP? It just doesn't sound right to me.

Well you gotta start somewhere right? Just cause I didnt grow up with horses or had a horse, doesn't mean I can't ever have one since i'm not an expert. I'd learn more by having one that just researching. I am pretty weary about what he's like. But i'm also scared he's in a bad situation.....
The poop does worry me also. I've got poop coming out of my ears with these chickens and dogs! lol Prob cause I insist on keeping them close.

I might just have to pass on the mule, oh I hope he's ok!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Unless you are going to sell it for more money than the cheekens are worth!!! Cornishman is back!!!

The poop is the very least of your worries. Mules can be some of the most awesome animals in the world, on the other hand have the potential to be one of the most dangerous animals. They are not known to be great around dogs, they have a propensity to get them under themselves with their fronts and stomp on them. Before all you Mule folks get all worked up I know there are many many that get along with dogs, I am saying that if the mule does not get along they can be real real hard on a dog.

The old saying "nothing better than a good mule and nothing worse than a bad one applies. If there is a mule availabe for trade for a handful of chickens I am saying he aint in the goodun category. I could be wrong but the odds are real bad.

Guess in any trade or purchase you need to make a list of the pros and the cons.

My first question would be why would you consider having a mule?
Do you want to ride it? drive it? have it provide protection for your flock? or
just have it as a pet? I wouldn't consider taking an equine on unless I met it
and had it vet checked. how old is it? how are the teeth? up to date on vaccines?

Hooves need to be trimmed about every 6 to 8 weeks and you cannot skip this.
Worming here in the NE can be done every 6 months. It will most likely need to
have another equine, pet of it's own, to be comfortable.

One to two acres for chickens is a LOT, for a mule, it's a days worth of wandering.

I have known great mules and horrific mules.

For your sake and the mules sake, do your homework and make a knowledgeable
decision. Good luck.

Why would you want the mule? If it's just going to be hanging around doing nothing, probably not worth it. They eat a lot and are expensive to keep up, with foot trimming, shoes if needed, vaccinations, deworming, tack, routine maintenance and emergency vet bills when they do something stupid and get hurt (having a vet drive out to put some stitches in a leg could set you back a few hundred dollars!) which seemed to happen at least yearly with every horse I have had.

Why is the mule being offered? It may be that they just don't want it anymore or can't feed it and there is no market for equids where you live...lots of people are giving away horses/mules/donkeys here or just setting them loose in the streets because feed costs too much and they lost their jobs. Make sure he is healthy. Find out how old he is. Go to where he is and handle him yourself, see what he is like. A mean mule is dangerous, they can be much more aggressive than horses, and are very good at kicking. A well-aimed kick from those back feet can kill you. Mules are loud, too. They will wake you up at breakfast time--their idea of breakfast time. Maybe annoy the neighbors. If it is a male mule, make sure it is gelded (neutered). Many people don't geld males because they are sterile, but they still have testosterone, and that can make them an aggressive, bad pet if they are not trained right from the start. Once they are over a couple of years old, gelding won't always get rid of the problem behavior either, so don't think you could get him intact and have him gelded to gentle him if he is already set in his ways.

All that said, mules can be great, enjoyable animals. Just make sure you do your research first, for your sake, and the mule's.

You don't have to be an equine expert to get an equine, but you need to research research research or go out and just learn hands on at a stable first. Also a mule is not like a horse - mules are MUCH more stubborn and ornery in potential than a horse. If you want an equine get a small pony for a companion animal - many people get rid of elderly horses that can't be ridden anymore. A mule is very smart and in my experience mules and donkeys are pure escape artists way more so than horses and they don't deal well with small confinement which your under 2 acres would be considered unless you rode it often or worked it to give it something to do other than just sit there.
hmm.png
I really would pass on it if I were you because it would be better for you, the mule, and your dogs/chickens whom it may not be used to and try to attack and kill.

Back
Top Bottom