Should I try and kill this bobcat?

I say if you are leaving your birds out for prey then the cat has the right of way...its nature. I free range my chickens but I accept the deaths and if one dies they get locked up for a week
No one is leaving their chickens out "as prey"; they're free ranged as domestic fowl commonly are. The bobcat is targeting an easy meal instead of hunting their traditional- and much harder to catch- food sources. I say the cat doesn't have the right of way. I say that, on my land, my animals have the right of way and anything that comes for them is fair game (except for raptors and owls; they're federally protected). My land, my animals, my rules.

I have a neighbor who leases his land to a cattle guy. The neighbor doesn't allow any shooting on his land at all so the coyotes get pretty thick around here, especially during calving season. Another neighbor has sheep and routinely loses lambs to coyotes and feral dogs. If he sees a coyote attacking a lamb in his paddock, should he just chalk it up to "the coyote has right of way" because he raises prey animals'?

Then... either secure your chickens or don't keep them. I mean the emotion here appeared to tell us they were in the pet category which then raises the question on whether or not you're properly caring for your pets or are they just live stock you can afford to lose here and there?
Just to clarify, if it's a free ranging let, you're on the bobcat's side but if it's chickens as a food source OP should just write it off??

No one is leaving their chickens out "as prey"; they're free ranged as domestic fowl commonly are. The bobcat is targeting an easy meal instead of hunting their traditional- and much harder to catch- food sources. I say the cat doesn't have the right of way. I say that, on my land, my animals have the right of way and anything that comes for them is fair game (except for raptors and owls; they're federally protected). My land, my animals, my rules.

I have a neighbor who leases his land to a cattle guy. The neighbor doesn't allow any shooting on his land at all so the coyotes get pretty thick around here, especially during calving season. Another neighbor has sheep and routinely loses lambs to coyotes and feral dogs. If he sees a coyote attacking a lamb in his paddock, should he just chalk it up to "the coyote has right of way" because he raises prey animals'?
I am just saying unless you are doing all you can to protect them then you should know your taking risks and you will most likely will have some deaths. There low on the food chain so it's going to happen. For example I have 4 gaurd dogs and that is my source of protection but if something happens to get pass them it happens it's my fault...not the animal looking for food

I am just saying unless you are doing all you can to protect them then you should know your taking risks and you will most likely will have some deaths. There low on the food chain so it's going to happen. For example I have 4 gaurd dogs and that is my source of protection but if something happens to get pass them it happens it's my fault...not the animal looking for food
I have a beagle with radar for ears and a Siberian Husky/GSD but I wouldn't want either to go after a coyote- a lone coyote will lure a dog off into the distance where the pack will be waiting to kill it.

My dogs are my alerts, I take it from there. My chickens and turkeys rely on me for protection.

You said either secure them or don't keep them, then said they're either pets that aren't being properly cared for or they're livestock you can afford to lose (write off). If someone feels that losses to a bobcat or other predator is something I should accommodate, I understand that to mean that the bobcat is doing something that's acceptable in that person's estimation.

You said either secure them or don't keep them, then said they're either pets that aren't being properly cared for or they're livestock you can afford to lose (write off). If someone feels that losses to a bobcat or other predator is something I should accommodate, I understand that to mean that the bobcat is doing something that's acceptable in that person's estimation.
It's been a long discussion if you've been following it.

The OP is:

1. Not getting a dog or other LSG.
2. Free Ranging, IS not securing their flock.
3. Plans to do nothing different.
4. Is sad for their loss.

Back
Top Bottom