Should I use a lower protein feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Grenadianexpat, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Grenadianexpat

Grenadianexpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Grenada W.I.
    One of my hens made the mistake of using the pigs trough as a place to sit, it was used as a cushion by one of the piglets, and what had been a healthy happy bird 2 minutes prior was a sad looking bunch of feathers when I came back.

Not wanting to wast an otherwise healthy bird it was duly skinned ready for the stew pot.

We noticed this not very old bird was a bit fatty.

Apart from eating the local fruits .... which include bananas,mangoes and avocados, they scratch for feed during the day, and get commercial 19% Layer protein feed at night to tempt them back into the coup.

I am wondering if the 19% isn't perhaps too rich for them, and that maybe I should drop the protein level to 17%.

I had to stop feeding them in the morning as they would just gulp it down and then sit around all day waiting for supper.

I wouldn't want my girls getting angina... :) Anyone got a step walker for lazy chickens.....

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Protein doesn't contribute to body fat, I'd leave the feed where it is. My hens often have a nice bunch of fat and they're all healthy.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Don't think of it as a 20% protein feed. Think how much protein is my chicken receiving overall taking into consideration all the low protein treats they are getting. I feed a 20% layer pellet for that every reason. If they get 1/2 of their diet from a 20% pellet and 1/2 of their diet from 2% fruit and scrapes, their overall diet is really only coming in at 11%. That's rather low for a laying hen. I would pin the fat on the avocados. They are a high fat treat (15%) that gives your hens a nice bloom to their feathers and good marbling.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. Grenadianexpat

Grenadianexpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Grenada W.I.
    Good point cheers, I guess I'll have to wean them off the cream cakes...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by