Should I use antibiotics? Hen's head looks infected

Newchickgrandma

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
Our sick chicken, Lightning, got stuck in the coop with the other chickens. After they attacked her, her head was bald and red. Her skin seems mostly intact, but today she seems to have turned a pale color and her head doesn't smell very good. We've never had something like this happen before. Should we use antibiotics? I have some aquamox. Pictures to follow

Attachments

• 20240407_172630.jpg
    20240407_172630.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240407_172625.jpg
    20240407_172625.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240407_172620.jpg
    20240407_172620.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 5
I would probably separate her inside a wire dog crate with food, water and bedding. I would keep her near the others. You can apply plain Neosporin to the wounds twice a day until it heals. I don’t think oral antibiotics are needed. She will heal in time. Do you know why they attacked her? Is she low in the pecking order? Is there any overcrowding or aggressive breeds? Is she attacked because she has been ill? What have her symptoms been?

She has been sick on and off for a year so when they were all stuck in a tight space, they attacked her. She is an easter egger and probably the bottom of the pecking order. She hasn't laid any eggs for a long time.
She has diahhrea and is weak for a few days once every two weeks. We bring her in and give her her own food and water and she starts feeling better. She gets yogurt and some raw egg if it's really bad. She is only a little over 2 years.

I would probably separate her inside a wire dog crate with food, water and bedding. I would keep her near the others. You can apply plain Neosporin to the wounds twice a day until it heals. I don’t think oral antibiotics are needed. She will heal in time. Do you know why they attacked her? Is she low in the pecking order? Is there any overcrowding or aggressive breeds? Is she attacked because she has been ill? What have her symptoms been?
See my response above.

Back
Top Bottom