Should I use Mareks vaccine...

I might have gotten some bad information, but I was told that if I use medicated starter for the first 16 weeks, that will boost their immune system and will prevent them from having Marek's disease. Is this true or was it a tale...I heard it from a couple of ppl. on BYC.

Just hatched and vaccinated today! Mama hen was pissy, but put her right back with the chicks afterwards, so she was fine, as are they!
Love them fuzzbutts!

Medicated feed doesn't help with Marek's--that takes the live vaccine!

65263_three_babies_bcm.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Have been through that heartbreak here. It's almost too awful to describe, and worse to watch and do everything you can do to try to save/treat them, and see them dying such a horrible death.
hit.gif
It's why I have chosen not to hatch any more here, and if (and that is a VERY, VERY big "if") I decide to get any more chicks, they'll come from a breeder who vaccinates, or from a hatchery which vaccinates. Those of you who don't have Marek's around, be very, VERY thankful.

Quote:
I was told that once chicks were hatched, they had to be vaccinated within the first day, and NOT EXPOSED to other chickens for a minimum of 10 days, including biosecurity steps such as changing clothes/shoes after being around your other chickens because it takes 10 days for the chicks to build up antibodies to the vaccine, and that if they're exposed prematurely, they can still contract the virus. Also, the virus is 90%+ effective, but not 100%; there's still a chance of a vaccinated chick contracting it too, but at least the odds are in their favor after vaccination. (edited for clarity)

Last edited:
DW and I have been curious if you can weigh both parts of the vaccine that you mix and save half of both parts to use later? Does that make sence or is it even possible?

To quote once again the oft-quoted Dr Fulton, DVM:
"Marek's disease virus is everywhere. In fact, the vaccination of poultry for Marek's disease is a race to see which virus is going to win in the bird.....the vaccine
virus or the disease causing virus. While it is true that Marek's disease vaccinated birds are infected with the vaccine virus for life, I am not aware of them shedding the vaccine virus. "

Using this principle, better to innoculate my new chicks and put them back under the broody who is not shedding the virus according to him, than to leave them unprotected. (Caged separately from the other hens for 2 weeks. ) I understand that if my chicks contract Marek's, you will have had a valid concern, kathyinmo, but 1. I dont want to take the chicks away from Mamahen and 2. Since my chooks all free-range, the babes would be sure to contract Marek's as it is prevalent here in NorCal. I've settled on the best decision, I believe, given the parameters. Time will tell. Perhaps this dilemma is why y'all use a bator...!!

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/content/view/17/37/

ChookHappy, this site says you can cut the wafer into 1/4ths...

Cool thats great to hear, thanks. That is the green light to go ahead and vaccinate all my little future fuzzy butts. The feed store down the road sells the vaccine for 15 bucks so might as well buy the "ounce of prevention". Now I just wish they sold the vaccine for Newcastle's disease there as well...

Here is an excellent thread about this topic. Actually, it was made into a stickie.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39918

ETA: It has nothing to do with the chicks shedding the virus ..... It is the adult birds that are a danger to the newly vaccinated chicks. All the information is in the above thread. Here is a snip from the thread...

If you do not properly quarantine a vaccinated chick for at least 10 days, it can get Marek's. It may not show symptoms, but will shed the virus. Quarantine means starting the chicks in a sanitized brooder with sanitized equipment, not putting the brooder in the coop, not wearing the same clothes in the coop that you wear taking care of the chicks, not letting the kids pet the chickens and come in and handle the chicks, not storing the chick food in the coop, washing your hands before handling the chicks, etc, etc, etc. It's a pain in the butt, but it can save your flock. It is my personal opinion that lack of quarantine is the reason for vaccine failure. A vaccinated chick can harbor marek's if it was not properly quarantined.

ETA: The vaccine does not just prevent symptoms. It prevents the disease if the chick was properly vaccinated and quarantined. If the chick was vaccinated but not properly quarantined you may end up with a bird that has the disease but has enough immunity to not show symptoms. The quarantine is just as important as the vaccine.​

Last edited:
Just to check back in here...

I have vaccinated both sets of chicks for Marek's and put them back under their respective broody hen. I then kept them all in the dog house/attached crate run for 14 days, in the middle of the big run so the other birds can get used to seeing the chicks, but they are separated. Used medicated chick feed for three weeks, and mama starts venturing out with them at two weeks, so they are free ranging in the large yard, plus have free choice chick starter. First batch is 10 weeks old and second group 5 weeks old and nary a problem of any sort to be seen...

Pics: 10 week old BCM pullet:
65263_pullet_10_weeks.jpg

5-week old Splash Marans chicks:
65263_chicks2_5_weeks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom