should i use sand or dirt in the run?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
im sure this question is asked a lot but im wondering if i should use sand in the run or just keep it dirt? their is a lot of leaves were we will build the run and i think the chickens would like to scarth in them but i also like the idea of sand to keep it from getting too muddy
here is were the run will be
50920_dsc_0300.jpg

Sand is great for drainage....we do not get much rain here but sand would just be easier to rake and keep tidy I would think..

I used DG - Decomposed Granite. It's like a very course sand. Great for drainage, and easy to rake/level/clean. Plus the ladies peck at it all day long and seem to like it. Plus it looks nice and clean.

I like your idea of leaving the leaves. That's what I did in my run and my chickens do like to scratch in them. There's always bugs hiding under there...

I agree with the above post. The leaves might be nice at first, but when they are gone and there is nothing but dirt it's time to bring in the sand. Sand offers great drainage, and it is so easy to keep the run clean.

I personally like the dirt, I like seeing them take dirt baths...and actually it does not get messy because when it is raining or snowing they are in their house looking out the window...

I'd let them have fun in the leaves for a while then add a couple of inches of sand. I have sand in mine and I use a cat litter scoop & rake to clean up the droppings, very easy to clean. I used construction grade sand which also doubles as grit!! They use the sand to dust bathe also.

Back
Top Bottom