Should I vaccinate my flock

Just wanted to updated everyone one of my girls has developed a "cold" though I suspect respiratory disease, I'm going to cull her. Should I also cull the rest of my flock even though they are not showing symptoms?
Did you get them back yet? If you are thinking about culling, maybe just leave them where they are and start with a new flock.

Whatever she has, the others are already exposed to. So I wouldn't eliminate her, unless like aart said she seems to be suffering and not trying to recover. Then MAYBE just to end any suffering.

Last edited:
Thank you guys.

We are closing on a home but had to move from our previous residence. I'm not sure how long the closing process is going to be but was told around 30 days. That's the only reason I kept them otherwise I would have sold them or eaten them. Shame. There are hard to find breeds of birds another reason I kept them.

While they are still at the property I moved them to a private pen that I made. I couldn't take looking at them walking round in feces and mud. Although they can go inside the large coop they were previously in its crowded, dusty, filled with feces, and has more sick birds. Since I have been there 4 have died ( from what I've seen could have been more) including one of my own Maran.....I'm trying to be nice I know my friend means well but there's no way one could notice this. They even acknowledged that they don't like going inside their own muddy pen because it smells so bad and its hard to walk in. I can only do so much I work, cook, clean, take are of the family, they stay at home all day.

Sorry had to vent. Ugh. As for my chicken she seems to be eating and drinking okay pooped no problem. She just had labored breathing, sneezing, and has a phlegm like breathing. She's the only one.

Thank you guys.

We are closing on a home but had to move from our previous residence. I'm not sure how long the closing process is going to be but was told around 30 days. That's the only reason I kept them otherwise I would have sold them or eaten them. Shame. There are hard to find breeds of birds another reason I kept them.

While they are still at the property I moved them to a private pen that I made. I couldn't take looking at them walking round in feces and mud. Although they can go inside the large coop they were previously in its crowded, dusty, filled with feces, and has more sick birds. Since I have been there 4 have died ( from what I've seen could have been more) including one of my own Maran.....I'm trying to be nice I know my friend means well but there's no way one could notice this. They even acknowledged that they don't like going inside their own muddy pen because it smells so bad and its hard to walk in. I can only do so much I work, cook, clean, take are of the family, they stay at home all day.

Sorry had to vent. Ugh. As for my chicken she seems to be eating and drinking okay pooped no problem. She just had labored breathing, sneezing, and has a phlegm like breathing. She's the only one.
So sorry you're going thru this......tough situation.
Forget about the arrangement when I wrote the below post......
......doesn't really apply now that my brain has caught back up with the realities.

Quote:
You are fine ;-) I don't want to cull them if I don't have too. I'm just frustrated. I see how things look when we close but until then I might give her some Tylan 50. I know it won't cure it but hopefully it will help her feel better.

It's awesome that you tried to take some action!

As much of a blessing as it is. waiting on escrow to close can seem like forever.
barnie.gif

You've made it this far, just hang in there!
hugs.gif
Sorry for your (valid) worries and your loss.
sad.png

The real question is do you wanna take your current flock to your new property? Did it have chickens there before?

It's awesome that you tried to take some action!

As much of a blessing as it is. waiting on escrow to close can seem like forever.
barnie.gif

You've made it this far, just hang in there!
hugs.gif
Sorry for your (valid) worries and your loss.
sad.png

The real question is do you wanna take your current flock to your new property? Did it have chickens there before?

Tell me about it I'm so nervous I hope things go well with the close. Crosses fingers

I do because I love my girls, its weird.....I know. They bring my such joy and happiness. They each have own personalities that's just hilarious. There's a few pullets who haven't even started laying yet so I was hoping on some spring eggs. The new property from what I was told did not have chickens only horses.

Tell me about it I'm so nervous I hope things go well with the close. Crosses fingers

I do because I love my girls, its weird.....I know. They bring my such joy and happiness. They each have own personalities that's just hilarious. There's a few pullets who haven't even started laying yet so I was hoping on some spring eggs. The new property from what I was told did not have chickens only horses.
I spend enough time with my flock, even with 48 they all have names and personalities for sure. Even my company that comes over can identify a good number of them by name.
tongue.png

They do bring tons of happiness and peace. Definitely funny and entertaining. A stress reliever most of the time. I don't blame you for wanting to bring them.
hu.gif

Successful speedy close!
fl.gif

And then some pics.
wink.png

Buying a house is one of the most stressful life events.
Deep breaths....again.......again....

Is there a coop at the new place?

Time for wait and see...try not to think about it too hard, pros and cons....when the time comes you'll make the decision.

hugs.gif
Thank you guys (found the smiley icon lol) I would just feel so much better with keys in hand. I've had so much misfortune these past few months, I just want something to go right. @EggSighted4Life yes indeed if all goes well! Its about 7 wide acres of space.

@aart There is no coop at the new property just a small shelter that was used for the mini horses he said he had 2. Only a small section of the property is fenced.

Back
Top Bottom