Should I worry?

boomaluv

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 25, 2009
I am absolutely new to this raising birds thing, let alone raising chickens. So far, my chickies have been great: they're growing, chirping, eating, scratching... everything I think chickies should do. They are just about 4 weeks old.

I just noticed that my buff Polish is nearly naked around her neck and in between her shoulders... should I worry? I know they begin looking ragged at this age, but the others don't look nearly as beat up as my poor Polish. Besides the feathers, she seems fine... eats, drinks, and is active.

I thought it might have something to do with space, so I just doubled the size of their enclosure. Besides that, I'm at a loss. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

doubling the space is a good idea. chicks pick each other for several reasons: not enough space, protein deficiency, boredom, or weakness.

if a chick is sick, they will peck it to death. if your chick isn't sick, i would suggest a bigger brooder. since you've done that, i can only suggest to make sure they have enough chick starter and fresh water at all times, as well as maybe a roost or two for them to sit on...

Back
Top Bottom