should my new chicks b acive

krystala

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
I need help again. Last time my chick died about 12 hrs after it hatched. I just hatched another one and it isn't very active. It is about 14 hrs old. It is making noise but not walking around. Any help u could give would b great

Chicks need lots of rest after hatching... It is lots of stress on them... Keep an eye on your chick and if he doesnt perk up after a few hours then get some sugar water..

Last edited:
Sometimes my chicks are up and walking around in 12 hours but most of the time it takes 24 for them to get up and going good, they do not need anything to eat or drink till they are up and pecking at stuff unless it has been a few days sense they hatched,
Most of the time when you buy chicks from the hatchery they send them the same day they hatch cause they know they will be living off the yoke they absorbed.

you could easily drowned a chick that is not ready to drink because they might just end up breathing in the water threw their nostrils, just sayen.

It is best to let the chick rest and not mess with it as it till it gets up and on it's feet, like all baby's they will exersise them muscles and then rest till they get things figured out.

Congratulations on your hatch.

I really dont want this one to die like the last one. Also it is the only one that hatched in this bunch. Next ones aren't due to hatch for a week. Should i b concerned he is lonely

Last edited:
On a side note. How many eggs should i expect my hen to lay. It seems live she laid a bunch for about a month n haven't had any foe two weeks. Will she lay more or is she done for the season

I really dont want this one to die like the last one. Also it is the only one that hatched in this bunch. Next ones aren't due to hatch for a week. Should i b concerned he is lonely
The chick should be fine for a week by itself. It will get attached on you. You will have to teach it to drink in a couple days by dipping its beak into the waterer. Also do the same for the feed as well. Your little one should start to peak at the food when it is hungary. Your bird might not eat for a few days but be sure there is water after the second day. The again you might have to teach the next one that hatches as well unless it just follows the first one
wink.png

On a side note. How many eggs should i expect my hen to lay. It seems live she laid a bunch for about a month n haven't had any foe two weeks. Will she lay more or is she done for the season
If you remove the egg each day she should continue to lay every 2 days. Weather does play a part in egg laying (for mine anyways LOL) Mine will stop laying if it is too hot and some will not lay if it is raining. I had a wet week last week and for a few days not one egg but then I go to put the young ones away and there are eggs everywhere LOL If you left the eggs with her and she laid a clutch of them and you then took them from her she might be done. I have one hen that laid an egg and wanted to sit on it and tried going broody but I could not let her cause of possible prediators, she has not laid an egg since but she might start again or she could be done.

I need help again. Last time my chick died about 12 hrs after it hatched. I just hatched another one and it isn't very active. It is about 14 hrs old. It is making noise but not walking around. Any help u could give would b great
Can you describe your brooder?

-Kathy

We have a box with newspaper in bottom and a heat lamp. Temp inside by lamp is 99. The chick just seems sluggish

We have a box with newspaper in bottom and a heat lamp. Temp inside by lamp is 99. The chick just seems sluggish
Can you post a photo of the brooder and the chick?
Does it try to get up at all?
I think newspaper was said to be kinda slippery for chicks, i never use it but mabe someone here can say if this is true or not.

How long have you been using this incubator?is it a Styrofoam one?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom