Should runt go out to coop?

Junipere

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Hi! First timer here. I have 5, 5 week old chicks and one is a runt (see pictures). My runt is about 4 times smaller than the others and still mostly covered by her down fur. I was hoping to move everyone out to the coop in another week but I’m worried that my runt isn’t ready (and won’t fare well).

Nights in MA are still getting down to high 30s-low 40s so I was planning to move the ecoglow and/or the cozy safe chicken coop heater (it’s a single free standing vertical panel heater) into the coop for extra warmth at night, but I’m not sure that enough for my runt.

I had though about separating my runt and keeping her inside until she is fully feathered, however I’m worried that it would be too much time separated from the others and she’d have to go through the pecking order again. Since she is so small I don’t think she’d survive having to go through the pecking order again.

I also thought about just removing her at night when the temperature drops but not sure if that would also cause her to go through the pecking order each day I returned her to the flock?

Any advice about best options for my runt’s survival in this transition process would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• FB65B749-DE49-4343-941C-46C9258B126F.jpeg
    FB65B749-DE49-4343-941C-46C9258B126F.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 81
  • E2B885AD-C860-469C-8066-C5AD46652253.jpeg
    E2B885AD-C860-469C-8066-C5AD46652253.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 60
I'm sure others will respond who know more. I'd not separate them, I wouldn't want to throw off the dynamic and having the runt alone seems sad and I don't think would be a good thing. What temperature are they at now?

Is she a different breed? She is so small compared to the others.
Thanks for your advice. I don’t like the thought of her being alone either! She is the same Brabanter breed as her sister that she’s snuggled up to in one of the pics (the other 3 chicks are ISA Browns). All 5 chicks are 5 weeks old and they are all roughly the same in size except for my runt. She eats and drinks and isn’t afraid to push her little body between the bigger chicks to get to the feed but she just hasn’t grown the same. She gets along well with the other chicks but they are definitely more active than her (jumping and running around the brooder).

Her Brabanter sister’s coloring looked just liked her before she was feathered too (see pic). I could keep them in a little longer if need be.

Attachments

• 0F69E215-EDE0-4134-9137-D765E8B4CC0A.jpeg
    0F69E215-EDE0-4134-9137-D765E8B4CC0A.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 63
Good luck! Let me know if you come up with a good solution. I’ll probably wait a little little longer to put them out but them move them all out together with some safe heating option and hope for the best. Just curious, how cold is it getting at night where you are?

Good luck! Let me know if you come up with a good solution. I’ll probably wait a little little longer to put them out but them move them all out together with some safe heating option and hope for the best. Just curious, how cold is it getting at night where you are?
Colorado, so down in the 20s, 30s. My outdoor chicks have a heat lamp and a draft free space. It probably stays about 50-60 in their bin. But too cold for this silly little nugget:

(Gray one is the same age as other 2 chicks in this shot)

Attachments

• PXL_20210408_191858617.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210408_191858617.MP.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 50
I had some staggered hatches. I have one group that is 4 weeks old, (3) they actually stayed small I think because their group was small, then I had 3 more about 12 days later, I kept them apart, but had a view window inbetween. Then the older ones got smelly, and I put them in an outdoor brooder- shed. Now the younger group are like the first batch non-thrivers, because of the small group, but I just hatched out 3 more, and a view window again. Soon the middle batch will move out to the shed, with a separate brooder box and view window to the older chicks. hoping eventually all will go together, when weather is warmer...Oh by the way the first group that went to the shed, are really active and thriving. maybe it is an age thing.

My new hatchers will be combined with the middle ager chicks in another day or so. Waiting for their sea legs. the ones from the middle, are about the same size as the new hatchers, because one is a silky.

Back
Top Bottom