Should this Roo be euthanized?

AnneInTheBurbs

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
Bucks County, Pa
Hey guys, asking this for my cousin. She had a fox attack the other day, and her Roo showed up that night, but in poor shape. The poor guy does not seem to lift his head much at all. He was clearly grabbed at the neck, and probably shaken around. He only seems to have a couple of puncture wounds on his neck. Do you guys think he will make it, or should he be euthanized? We do not believe his neck is broken, just badly bruised. Sorry for the graphic pictures, hope no one was eating!

*Edited to add, he did want to eat, when we put a small dish down on the floor for him.

View attachment 1300437

View attachment 1300438

View attachment 1300439

View attachment 1300440

It looks to me like he is standing on his own. He came home on his own? If he is also drinking water and eating, no, I would not euthanize him. Of course, that is a personal decision, and we at BYC will support whatever your cousin decides. I think this guy will be sore for several days, but looks in decent shape to me. Can he stay inside for at least a few days to recover? He should be in something like a dog crate in a calm, quiet, and dark(ish) place with food and water within reach. If your cousin has poultry vitamins on hand, that would be great. Poly V Sol without iron (for babies) will also work, if either of you have some of that.
Also, if there are puncture wounds, they need to be tended to. Are there any?

It looks to me like he is standing on his own. He came home on his own? If he is also drinking water and eating, no, I would not euthanize him. Of course, that is a personal decision, and we at BYC will support whatever your cousin decides. I think this guy will be sore for several days, but looks in decent shape to me. Can he stay inside for at least a few days to recover? He should be in something like a dog crate in a calm, quiet, and dark(ish) place with food and water within reach. If your cousin has poultry vitamins on hand, that would be great. Poly V Sol without iron (for babies) will also work, if either of you have some of that.
Also, if there are puncture wounds, they need to be tended to. Are there any?

Thanks for the reply. She found him on the other side of the house and put him in the coop, I believe. We think he was drinking, as the waterer is placed on the floor and he has moved a few times around the coop today. He also did eat when we put a food dish in front of him.

They do not want to put him in a dog crate, but he seems cozy enough inside the nesting boxes for now. It will be warm for the next couple of days also.

There are a couple of puncture wounds, but why are all closed up now, since the attack a day or so ago. So I believe we are past the point of infection. I think he will make it, if he shows any signs of improvement.

The bite marks on the neck look like punctures. They should be cleaned. I personally would also put triple antibiotic ointment on them. He should be looked over thoroughly for any other injuries. I am hoping for the best for this guy and your cousin! So great of you to help out by posting!

They are punctures, but I am not there to treat him anymore. I would have treated him differently, but to each their own. I am trying to help by offering some advice.

If he is eating and drinking on his own, and they are comfortable leaving him in the coop, he may recover just fine. However, I would definitely advise for her to watch for any sign of infection. Also, do you know how his poop looks?

If he is eating and drinking on his own, and they are comfortable leaving him in the coop, he may recover just fine. However, I would definitely advise for her to watch for any sign of infection. Also, do you know how his poop looks?

He shot out one liquidy poo when I was there examining him. It was more brownish, but not like a cecal poop. I just chalked it up to him not liking being handled. Now that he has a food dish lower to him, I am hoping he will eat more.

Back
Top Bottom