Should we add a rooster to our flock?

Just from your first post, I'm not sure if you understand how chicken mating can be. Eventually it gets smooth and nice, if fast, with a good rooster. With a young rooster and young pullets, it's often pretty violent looking and distressing to humans not used to it. A fair amount of chasing, feather pulling, failed attempts, persistent chasing of a hen, lots of noise and struggle at times. Like I said, it doesn't/shouldn't last forever, but that's usually what your looking at at first.

Personally I love roosters and always have some in my layer flock. I've just seen folks here have bad reactions to seeing mating for the first times.

Last edited:
Even the good roosters will rub a few feathers off the hens backs. But if they are gentle enough, they don't tear any skin. I do have 4 half naked hens at the moment, but that is why I check them and observe them..to see if anyone has any injuries or issues. I figure it is just a fact of life for chicken mating. My neighbor has half naked hens too...and she has a 20 hen/2 roo ratio.

Young cockerels do need to learn how to treat their hens. It's the young ones who refused to learn that are in the freezer now.

Thanks for the info donrae and moxies, it's most helpful and I'm continuing to learn! And you're right donrae, I don't understand how chicken mating can be because I don't have a rooster.
wink.png
Plus, I'm pretty new to chickens. I do understand now that the mating practices ease up a bit after time.

Hayduke, that rooster is awesome. This video with the heavy metal really compliments him!

Thanks everyone!!!

I will throw out the other opinion. I waited a a couple of years before I got a rooster. My hens were fine without one. That time really gave me some confidence around and raising chickens. Repeatedly the op has said this is a first experience with them. When people ask me for advice, I recommend just getting hens first, or raising just hens first. If you have small children, I strongly recommend waiting until the children are bigger before adding a rooster. Rooster and children don't mix.

I live in rough country and I have all the chicken predators. I have lost hens and roos to predators, but without a doubt, a good rooster will dramatically reduce your day light losses. However, the rooster needs to be close to a year old. It takes a bit of time to get a good rooster, and there are few sure proof ways of getting one. If you are in chickens long, you generally wind up with a roo that is way too aggressive. When you start with roosters, you need to have a sharp knife, as a lot of them need to be in the freezer. If you are uncomfortable with that option, you may not want a rooster.

I like having a good rooster, but I am on my fourth and fifth one, one goes to camp, waiting to see how they develop, how their personalities get established.

All I am saying, is it is not a bad thing to just have hens for a while.

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom