Should we add a rooster to our flock?

I will throw out the other opinion. I waited a a couple of years before I got a rooster. My hens were fine without one. That time really gave me some confidence around and raising chickens. Repeatedly the op has said this is a first experience with them. When people ask me for advice, I recommend just getting hens first, or raising just hens first. If you have small children, I strongly recommend waiting until the children are bigger before adding a rooster. Rooster and children don't mix.

I live in rough country and I have all the chicken predators. I have lost hens and roos to predators, but without a doubt, a good rooster will dramatically reduce your day light losses. However, the rooster needs to be close to a year old. It takes a bit of time to get a good rooster, and there are few sure proof ways of getting one. If you are in chickens long, you generally wind up with a roo that is way too aggressive. When you start with roosters, you need to have a sharp knife, as a lot of them need to be in the freezer. If you are uncomfortable with that option, you may not want a rooster.

I like having a good rooster, but I am on my fourth and fifth one, one goes to camp, waiting to see how they develop, how their personalities get established.

All I am saying, is it is not a bad thing to just have hens for a while.

Mrs K

Thanks Mrs. K. Your option is a little more down my alley. I would like to get comfortable with having hens first. I mean, I fell pretty comfortable now but would like a bit more experience under my belt. Plus, I realize that I would want to enlarge my chicken run if I were to add a new member to the flock. That's going to be a springtime project!

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to send a rooster to freezer camp. I plan on putting some game birds on the table this fall and we also kill and eat a lot of fish. Perhaps not as many fish as ol' Hayduke27! ;)

Thanks for your responses everyone! You've all provided me with great information!
big_smile.png

I have 10 hens and a rooster...he's annoying, jumps on my hens, apparently just started crowing at night (he's done it twice now in the last 2 months) but he's a beauty and protects my girls! I think you should defiantly add a rooster! If it doesn't work out...have a wonderful dinner! Good luck!

I couldn't live without my boys. Seriously. My Roos are always my most personable birds. I LOVE my large fowl salmon faverolles roosters. Awesome with the hens and their chicks. Gentlemen when they mate, very very child friendly. They even raised a stray orphaned feral kitten! Sweetest boys ever! But deadly serious about protecting their hens.

When the time is right for you to add a roo, if you aren't going to hatch eggs out, I would recommend the breed highly. I am very picky about my roosters and the SF Roos have spoiled me. The only other roo I have managed not to cull is a gold laced brahma. Docile as he can be but doesn't have the personality of the SF's.

Back
Top Bottom