Should we get eggs to hatch or day old chicks?

Amandas4hens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Cropseyville, NY
It will my family's first time as chicken owners. What's better/easier for first timers: hatch eggs or buy day old chicks?

We'll keep them in our house until they go to our barn.

Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated!!

-Amanda :)

That is basically up to you, but for first timers I would say get the baby chicks.

Welcome to BYC
jumpy.gif

Day old chicks = instant gratification. Hatching eggs takes 21 days and you have to spring for an incubator. When I was faced with this question, i ordered some chicks to start my flock and will hatch some of their eggs next season.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Definitely go with chicks. Hatching eggs take way too long and many times don't work out unless you have done it before. And as stated above, instant gratification with babies.

Go to your profile, top right side of this page and click on it. On the top left should be something that says "replace avatar". Click on that and it should lead you to your pc.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures!

We are 1st timers too and we decided to do both. My 13 year son really wants to build an incubator, so we are going to do that and I plan to purchase some day old chicks when ours start hatching. That way they will all be the same age.

I am not really finding the special breeds I want locally, so those will be the ones we hatch.
Still trying find eggs within a reasonable driving distance so we don't have to go the shipped egg route. From what I read, shipped eggs only have roughly a 50% hatch out rate.

Back
Top Bottom