Should we get eggs to hatch or day old chicks?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amandas4hens, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Amandas4hens

Amandas4hens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Cropseyville, NY
    It will my family's first time as chicken owners. What's better/easier for first timers: hatch eggs or buy day old chicks?

We'll keep them in our house until they go to our barn.

Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated!!

-Amanda :)

2. That is basically up to you, but for first timers I would say get the baby chicks.

Welcome to BYC[​IMG]

3. Amandas4hens

Feb 5, 2014
    Cropseyville, NY
    That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks!

4. No problem! And enjoy when you get them.

5. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    Day old chicks = instant gratification. Hatching eggs takes 21 days and you have to spring for an incubator. When I was faced with this question, i ordered some chicks to start my flock and will hatch some of their eggs next season.

6. Amandas4hens

Feb 5, 2014
    Cropseyville, NY
    Feeling sure now. Thanks! Can either of you advise me on how to post a profile picture? I've looked all over and can't figure it out.

7. Go to your profile then click on Avator then you should be able to upload a picture. I can't remember if you need so many posts before you can upload your own or not.

i

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Definitely go with chicks. Hatching eggs take way too long and many times don't work out unless you have done it before. And as stated above, instant gratification with babies.

Go to your profile, top right side of this page and click on it. On the top left should be something that says "replace avatar". Click on that and it should lead you to your pc.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures!

9. [​IMG]
    Welcome! I would get baby chicks, and if you ever hatch just remember the hatching eggs you get aren't sexed, lol!

10. NightOwl3

NightOwl3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    We are 1st timers too and we decided to do both. My 13 year son really wants to build an incubator, so we are going to do that and I plan to purchase some day old chicks when ours start hatching. That way they will all be the same age.

I am not really finding the special breeds I want locally, so those will be the ones we hatch.
    Still trying find eggs within a reasonable driving distance so we don't have to go the shipped egg route. From what I read, shipped eggs only have roughly a 50% hatch out rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by