Should we get more?

Ok, I just found this video on you tube. My ducks all make the sound of his black male runner. None make the loud quack of his white female runner. Guess I have all boys since their voice is apparently not a real quack and they all have curly tails...

I often have trouble with getting video sounds on my computer, and today is no different, so I'm not hearing these.

My best description of drakes' voices is that they sound like they're grumbling or mumbling all the time, much less distinct than the girls' quacks.

But as long as everybody sounds the same, I think increases the likelihood that everybody will get along. Sure hope so!

Ya, they are super fun! We have never had birds before and are learning as we go. Glad we got runners :) here is a picture of our babies in their night time indoor brooder/pen. We have an outdoor pen that we planned on them being in full time by now, but their first night out something attacked them and we almost lost one. It had half of its chest ripped off. We think it was a fox. Anyway, until we can make something more impenetrable we bring them in at night. They are much to big for it but at least they are safe.
theyre gorgeous! I'd consider swapping their waterer and feeder for buckets so that they are able to dunk their heads and keep their nares clear, but the space looks small so Im not sure if you already tried this and they made it too messy?
I think you're making the right call on keeping them in for a little longer! I can relate to this also. Better to have everything safe first.
From the video is seems theyre all boys! Im not hearing any female quacks in there.

theyre gorgeous! I'd consider swapping their waterer and feeder for buckets so that they are able to dunk their heads and keep their nares clear, but the space looks small so Im not sure if you already tried this and they made it too messy?
I think you're making the right call on keeping them in for a little longer! I can relate to this also. Better to have everything safe first.
From the video is seems theyre all boys! Im not hearing any female quacks in there.
Ya, I have a bigger feeder and waterer in their outdoor pen which is 6 foot by 8 foot and they swim in their pool every other day. But they already are walking around in a swamp by the end of the night because they play in their water even with it so hard to play in lol. I have to completely change out their small indoor enclosure every day. Can't wait for them to be outdoors full time!

Can't wait for them to be outdoors full time!
I feel your pain! I have two that are now 8 weeks old in a safe part of the henhouse at night until we get them into their own house (some security issues left to be worked out)
I clean it out in the morning when they go out to the pond. I wash it down and let it dry out... They come in for that night to a dry bed with fresh straw. I check on everyone before bed, and at that time I remove all the now soaked straw and give move dry straw. When I let them out in the morning the whole place is wet and mucky as though it has been weeks!

The most insulting thing is when my spouse goes in the morning to let them out and comes in the house to tell me I need to get in there and clean (remember at 11pm when I went out to check on them??? I cleaned it then! This is just a few hours worth of 🦆 behaviour! )

But they just look up at you with their funny faces and you forget all the muck and just bring them snacks -sigh-

Back
Top Bottom