Should we have to pay rent right now???

The "Answer" depends on the TOTAL Situation.

What was the cause of the flooding? Was it an "Act-of-God" or did the Landlord cause it...or did you?

IF the Landlord is doing the BEST possible under the circumstances to repair the "Situation", it is likely that you have no recourse...just pay the rent.

It is worthwhile to mention, I think, that the Landlord's mortgage payments, if any, continue...whether YOU pay the rent or not.

Landlords are NOT ....."Everybody's Rich Uncle".

Also, whereas in an Apartment Building...your Landlord ( or his custodian ) will clear the sewer line that YOU plugged-up by flushing a disposable diaper down it. That's unlikely when you rent a house. Usually the terms are considerably different.

MANY "Commercial Rental" (other than in a Mall setting), the Tenant is also responsible for ALL Repair and Maintenance.

To stay on good terms with the Landlord.....perhaps you should pay the rent. Otherwise...he might desire to find a way to get you to rent elsewhere.

just "Food for Thought".....
wink.png
smile.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Sounds like all the landlord needs to do is call to have the tank pumped. A quick fix.

But, if the cause is "an act of god" you might need to check your rental agreement for what recourse you have.

As a landlord, if you flushed a diaper, yes we would come and clear it for you............and give you the bill.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. Waiting for the rental management to get back to me.
We did not plug anything. The leach lines and septic system are on the lowest part of the property, they are flooded. We moved in Saturday and everything stoped working on Sunday morning. So we had been here less than 24 hrs. We have paid the rent for this month but have not been able to use the bathroom or any sink in the house for the last week! It's not the landlords fault but it's not our fault, nor do we own the house. We had the tank pumped and it filled back up in 3 hrs. I dug a ditch for 2 hrs. This may not be fixed for another 1-2 weeks because the ground is so wet. We have three pumps pumping but the water keeps filling back up. If it was just going to be a week of no showers and cleaning no bid deal but it looks like it could be longer. I just don't feel that I should have to pay the full rent when it is costing me more money to drive somewhere else to take shower and wash my dishes.
Thanks Again.

Yeah.. i wouldnt piss the landlord off right now by not paying rent...
Unless hes NOT working on getting it fixed RIGHT AWAY...
If hes working on it..then give him a break... just my opinion..

See that's my point he's not doing any of the work we are. We bought the pumps (he will pay us back), we are trying to get the water to run off. I'm calling people to have them come out and see what needs to be done and fix the problem. I email him and tell him what is going on, he has called no one. They are very nice people we really like them, but it's not fun to live with out a septic system. He asked me what my thoughts on paying rent were, so I was getting other peoples ideas on what they would do or say?

Well.. did you call him and say.."okay, i'm going to go get some pumps....etc... i'm going to call someone and see what the probelm is.." and he said okay, i'll pay you back?
Then that means that YOU have sort of taken on the problem and are keeping him informend...and he'll pay you back for any expenses?
If so... what ELSE can he do? If you are working on the problem...
Maybe i'm just confused on what you are saying here?? Sorry if i am...
hide.gif

Maybe just say to him.."Get out here and fix this ASAP for us, please?" That might be a little more clear for him... if he thinks that you are helping him work on the problem....
Some landlords let the tenats "fix" the problem and then pay them back... or deduct it from their rent....

Last edited:
I called him Sunday morning and told him the toilets were backed up. It's an old house so we just thought the tank mabey needed to be pumped. Monday they came and pumped the tank and told us that the leach fields were flooded and there was too much water for the system. So I called him back and told him and he wanted my husband to fix the problem. We informed him that this was not somehting that we could fix. So he told me to call people out to get it fixed. I have called 9 different companies all of them but 1 said they could not fix the problem because the ground is too wet. The 1 septic company said they could fix it, I had them call the landlord because it's up to him who fixes it and he says he wants us to just pump the water out for now. It's coming in as fast as we can pump it out! We have been pumping water for 3 days now. We have a pump that pumps 3700 gallons an hour, the tank is not even half empty. I'm just at a loss of what we should do. We have not rented a house in over 13 years so renting is kind of new to us again and I don't really now what my rights as a renter are?

Okay... all i can suggest is; be VERY clear with him...
Pumping is NOT working.... you NEED something done ASAP or you cant pay your rent.. (because you're having to spend money elesewhere for showers...etc.. etc...)...
Be polite and respectful.... but be firm...
Best wishes..
hugs.gif

Also..And just be SURE you are documenting everything.... all the people you called, what steps you have taken to reslove the problem...... etc... in case he comes after you for rent..

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. We did pay our rent for this month and if he request full rent for next month I will pay it, because we have no where else to live...not much of a choice on that one (even though I don't feel it's fair). Everything is documented, I've printed the 40 emails that I have sent him. Such a pain, we were hoping this move would be the light at the end of our dark tunnel but it's turned out to be full of water......
We will see what he say's.

Back
Top Bottom