Should we rethink pallet coop construction...?

Haha! Thanks Badlatitude! It took me and my brother all day yesterday to fix the crate up for the coop so it's done in my book. Just needs a roof and run attached
big_smile.png
cool.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That is so neat!!! I think I will try that!! Thank you for posting pics of your pallet coop.
Donna-Marie

Thank you It really isnt the Greatest But It was good in a pinch when I needed a nother coop for my reds I had like 12 Before they got slaudered by a coon
somad.gif

But I still have 3 beautiful girls out of it all that just started laying eggs WOO HOO
I actually think coops dont need to be all fancy smanchy seeing it all rustic and all makes it so farm like My husband built our first coop and it serves its purpose But there is room for improvement since I
seen other things hears a pic of his
38960_dscf3402.jpg

38960_dscf3271.jpg

also this is a coop that I baught off this guy that is where I got the idea of pallets in the first place
38960_dscf3581.jpg

Hear are a few other photos of my inside pallett coop
38960_dscf3753.jpg

38960_dscf3752.jpg

38960_dscf3750.jpg

Quote:
What ISN'T known to cause cancer in California? :|

Unless you're burning them, it's fine.. Chances are anything on the pallets will not transfer.. Not like the chickens will be chewing on them.

The issue is with airborne pollution released during the burning of contaminated products.

Pressboard products may have formaldehyde based glues. Dogging California is easy, but that stuff really isn't good for you. Remember the FEMA trailers? People were living for long periods in things designed and certified for occasional use. It's all about the outgassing of new materials, and the low-level of air exchange in the trailers. If you use new masonite, particle board or pressboard in a coop, and you don't paint it, you'll probably notice some odor for a while. Do you have enough airflow in your coop?

Anyway, the linked article is in reference to a municipality burning pallets. They're probably looking at thousands of pounds of biomass being processed by hourly laborers, not half-a-dozen carefully selected used pallets from a local warehouse.

If you want to use pallets to make a coop with (good looking coops, by the way!) and you're worried about contamination, try this:

1) select the best, cleanest looking pallets you can. The wood should be wood colored.
2) pressure wash them at the local carwash to blast any junk and bugs out of the grain and corners.
3) paint/stain with something to seal the grain. If pesticides or bleach got into the wood and didn't rinse all the way out, that should encapsulate it.

Instead of freaking out, use some sense.

Back
Top Bottom