Shouldn't have gone near the chick bins at TSC!!

I...um...have to set up a second brooder...

SOMEHOW I seem to have visited all the surrounding farm stores in the past 24 hours and suddenly about twenty additional chicks have appeared in my current brooder! Including four Polish, a buff Silkie, random yellow bantams, three Speckled Sussex, a Partridge Cochin, handful of light Brahma, White-faced Spanish bantams, and two more EEs.

Well, I can cross several more off my shipment in May. And the second brooder can be for bantams only, I suppose...

lau.gif
yippiechickie.gif
gig.gif

Thanks.the second chick is all black and so very cute as well.
I have 5 ayam cemani (one rooster and 4 hens) cull stock that my SIL happened to stumble upon when the hatching project they tried at school was unsuccessful she went on a hunt to find chicks so the kids wouldn't be disappointed. The hen who hatched them out is my favorite of the bunch.
The chicks will be barnyard mixes either with the cemani or rosecomb bantam father. Still waiting to see how many more hatch out about 7 are left....
Then the fun part of trying to figure out who the actually parents are lol.

My husband came in the coop today when I was with momma and asked so how many more do we have (trying to sound so disappointed) but I saw a smile when he saw the heads poke out.

My problem with TSC is they never have any chicks! When they do, sometimes they are not exactly what is advertised, I bought 20 "RIR" chicks in 2013... they were all RSLs in the end. I just ordered 25 BOs and 25 Jersey Giants from Estes Hatchery, they should be here around April 14! I still plan to let my 3 yr old go and pick out a few from TSC though, its way more fun for her to look in the tanks and point at the ones she wants.

I love this post! This is my first year but I'm already wanting more than I should. Worst part is my husband is just as bad! Mind you he's out of state for work but I send him pictures of the 3 standards and 1 bantam chick leaving out my other bantam chick Nugget (who sadly passed away last night
1f614.png
she'd been in a rough way since day 2) and he tells me I have to make sure and get an odd amount on my next order so she has a friend and they don't leave her out while "playing chick games"
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
. But it's off to big r(yes I know north 40, but it will always be big r to me) in the morning and I'm determined to come home with no more than 4 chicks. If I fail I have to redesign my coop and re negotiate my coop budget. Again lol. Wish me luck!

My plan for this order had been just 2 SLW but I have since added another EE to my wish list. So that leaves me a free space for another bantam or.... Who knows!...

Last edited:
I failed lol came home with 2slw 1ee and 2 bantams... But I figure of my 3 straight run bantams at least one is going to be a rooster so I'm still within my coops 8 chicken max.

I just can't be trusted apparently...

I failed lol came home with 2slw 1ee and 2 bantams... But I figure of my 3 straight run bantams at least one is going to be a rooster so I'm still within my coops 8 chicken max.

I just can't be trusted apparently...

That's Ok... I failed too, I have 50 chicks on order (BO's and jersey giants) but my daughter couldn't resist the polish bin at TSC... I just went in for bedding.

Back
Top Bottom