Shouldn't my hens be laying?

vtara16

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
North Hampton
I have three hens that I raised since two days old. They are 33 weeks old. I have a gold comet, rhode island red & barred rock.
The golden comet started laying at about 20 weeks, only laid about 5 eggs and the others have not laid at all.

At the end of the Golden Comets laying streak, I watched he'd her lay a shell-less egg. All three hens immediately started to eat it as I raced over to scoop it off the ground.

Since that day, they have not laid a single egg - Or have they? Do you think that my hens are eating the eggs, shell and all? Or should i give them more time?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks

They do not free range very often. Thhey have a large "run" and i have searched every inch of it.
he.gif

Did they start laying in September (or close)? 'cause them the shortened day length might have turned them off...?
They're getting everything normal, like layer feed, etc, right?

Other than that, I don't know...
hmm.png

A few years ago I had a RIR and a barred/white rock cross start laying at 33/35 weeks old, second week of December. Both have layed like champs since.

Imp

Make sure they are up for 14 hours for peak laying. Give them oyster shell and grit to help with the soft egg shells. Put some light color pine shaving in the nest boxes, if they are eating the eggs in the nest boxes the pine shavings will be a little damp and stained yellow from the yokes. Add some golf balls to deter them from pecking hard shelled eggs.

Are you hearing the egg song at all, or are you not around during the day? I would recommend if and when you are around, that you check the nest box often just in case they are eating the eggs. My girls have eaten a shell-less egg, but, thankfully, that did not turn them into egg eaters. You can also put golf balls in the nest box. If they peck those, they can't get anywhere. Yes, do let us know about their diet, appearance (bright red combs?) and behavior (squatting etc).

Keep an eye out for egg eaters. I had some and the only way I knew was the evidence on their face.
somad.gif
Had to get rid of the lot. It might not be in your case but do keep an eye out. Could be a lot of things.

Back
Top Bottom