Show chicken cost

Yeah, but if one is buying show stock who wants to buy chicks? Instead buy started stock for more money which has been culled at least once for quality by the breeder. No, he is not going to sell you his/her best stock...however, one should be able to get quality stock to found a flock.
Best,
Karen

Yeah, but if one is buying show stock who wants to buy chicks? Instead buy started stock for more money which has been culled at least once for quality by the breeder. No, he is not going to sell you his/her best stock...however, one should be able to get quality stock to found a flock.
Best,
Karen

Most people who show chickens prefer chicks because you have greater chances at a show winner. If you have, lets say 20 chicks, you can cull the ones who don't show as good quality, and keep the ones who are the best quality.

The vast majority of breeders of high quality birds do not sell chicks (or eggs) at all. Heck, some do not sell ANY birds, but most do, just not chicks. And expect to purchase pairs or trios, not just pullets or hens.

Hmmm, thats interesting because where i am (NJ) both places i got chickens from sold me them as chicks. And they sell high quality birds. One breeder even won Reserve Continental at the State Fair. I guess it just depends on the breeder.

The vast majority of breeders of high quality birds do not sell chicks (or eggs) at all. Heck, some do not sell ANY birds, but most do, just not chicks. And expect to purchase pairs or trios, not just pullets or hens.

Hmmm, thats interesting because where i am (NJ) both places i got chickens from sold me them as chicks. And they sell high quality birds. One breeder even won Reserve Continental at the State Fair. I guess it just depends on the breeder.

Yes, of course. Some sell nothing, ever, to anyone. They breed purely as their own artform/hobby. Some sell only adults as they do not wish to have anything "out there" attached to their name, that they didn't pick as survivors of the culling process. Some sell excess juveniles, fewer sell chicks and even fewer, it seems, sell eggs as the PO is brutally hard them in far too many cases.

When working with a breeder, take the time to ask questions and then listen to what is being said. Many breeders I know have short patience with folks who do not understand or appreciate the fancy from the point of view of that particular breeder. Many, many breeders never advertise, most never, ever participate on forums such as this, many do not do social media at all and some don't even operate a computer.

It takes all kind of people to make the world go 'round. Some folks in this fancy are VERY sensitive, so it's often best to see if a basic talking relationship can be established first.

Best way to find them is in the APA and ABA yearbooks. There most of the good breeders can be found, even if they don't have internet.you may have to call them on the phone or even write with a paper and pen! Another good place is the poultry press, an old timey newspaper that chicken folks will advertise in.

Yes, of course. Some sell nothing, ever, to anyone. They breed purely as their own artform/hobby. Some sell only adults as they do not wish to have anything "out there" attached to their name, that they didn't pick as survivors of the culling process. Some sell excess juveniles, fewer sell chicks and even fewer, it seems, sell eggs as the PO is brutally hard them in far too many cases.

When working with a breeder, take the time to ask questions and then listen to what is being said. Many breeders I know have short patience with folks who do not understand or appreciate the fancy from the point of view of that particular breeder. Many, many breeders never advertise, most never, ever participate on forums such as this, many do not do social media at all and some don't even operate a computer.

It takes all kind of people to make the world go 'round. Some folks in this fancy are VERY sensitive, so it's often best to see if a basic talking relationship can be established first.

Wow Fred! So well said!!
woot.gif

I agree completely! I do not sell anything but started birds. For several reasons,...one being that I was so often disappointed in poultry when purchasing eggs and chicks when trying to start flocks in another breed. I don't want others to go thru that. And I don't want them coming back to me saying they didn't get what they expected.
I am passionate about my pure English strain Light Sussex. I do not suffer fools lightly and expect folk who come to me about them to have a general knowledge of the breed and the differences between the English , Aussie, and American strains of Light Sussex. If someone tells me my birds look different than the Aussie or American birds, I know they are ignorant and not worthy of my birds. When instead they should be appreciating virtues and not judging by differences. Oh don't get me started on the futility of trying to judge birds by comparing defects instead of judging extent of virtues. The former is for newbies and the unlearnt. The latter is for the learnt who understand that greatness is the measure of the perfection of union between form and function. ( and if the reader doesn't take anything else away from this post, this last sentence will have been well worth reading it. ) I do make private agreements with interested folk I think may be good for my flock. And sincere. I have one local farmer who is a real fan of my birds and I give him my extra birds each year. I gave him 11 birds of various ages and both sexes this Fall.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Try to buy adult or birds over 6 months, those will show what they will mature to as older birds. I have bought show stock from any where from $20- $75 a bird but the cost of a bird doesn't guarantee that you will always win, that requires a lot of hard work and dedication for many years. Study the standard and start with a breed that really interests you and you will enjoy working on.

Back
Top Bottom