Show Chickens?

Angiem...is right. I'd go to a show or two before deciding on what I wanted to show. With so many birds out there just deciding on a breed can be confusing. I'd pick a breed that is calm and friendly by nature to start with. It would just make it easier since you would be new to showing.

Quote:
I don't know that that's entirely true. While you are right about not being "show quality" MOST hatcheries do have a good representation of the breeds. I have never (and I've ordered from A LOT of hatcheries) had a bird that I couldn't recognize the breed of.

I think (and this is not directed at you silkie chicken) that a lot of people get the wrong idea about hatchery stock in that it's always inferior. Some hatcheries get their eggs directly from these "private breeders" everyone likes to talk about.

Ideal has one of the best selections in bantams anywhere, and they have developed some of their own varieties. They do not sell anything that isn't at least close to the standard (as in recognizable as a certain breed) to the public.

As a first time chicken owner, particularly if you are not interested in being nationally competitive, starting out with some easily available-not to mention affordable- hatchery stock would be a good thing. Learn on these chickens, and after that, if you feel comfortable, you can get some show birds from a nationally known breeder. Get an assortment from any major hatchery, that will be the best way to find out which breed YOU like best, again, without spending an arm and a leg.

Make sure the interest is still there after the newness of chicks has worn off. That is my advice, at least then you won't be trying to rehome birds that cost you $20 each.

Ksacres is right about hatcheries, they aren't all bad, and you can get healthy chicks from them that are perfectly fine. Start with hatchery stock and make sure that is what you want do do because when you do get into serious show, it is a lot of money and expensive stock. Most hatchery birds can be identified as their breed but the biggest "concerns" often come when people order RIR's and really they are production reds. Or end up with BR's with poor barring. Even with show bird strains, there are the show and breeder and pet quality ones that come out of each group.

Start small and move from there, and if entering open class or a real show, don't put too much stock in that the few birds you ordered from the hatchery will win top placings. Now if you do careful breedings or pick the best birds out of a hatchery bunch to show, you will have a greater chance of doing better. It also depends on the competition and what you want to get out of it. If you are going for the fun and enjoyment of it all, don't worry too much about having all your birds with in 10% of the book of standards. Just enjoy the game.

Quote:
I don't know that that's entirely true. While you are right about not being "show quality" MOST hatcheries do have a good representation of the breeds. I have never (and I've ordered from A LOT of hatcheries) had a bird that I couldn't recognize the breed of.

I think (and this is not directed at you silkie chicken) that a lot of people get the wrong idea about hatchery stock in that it's always inferior. Some hatcheries get their eggs directly from these "private breeders" everyone likes to talk about.

Ideal has one of the best selections in bantams anywhere, and they have developed some of their own varieties. They do not sell anything that isn't at least close to the standard (as in recognizable as a certain breed) to the public.

As a first time chicken owner, particularly if you are not interested in being nationally competitive, starting out with some easily available-not to mention affordable- hatchery stock would be a good thing. Learn on these chickens, and after that, if you feel comfortable, you can get some show birds from a nationally known breeder. Get an assortment from any major hatchery, that will be the best way to find out which breed YOU like best, again, without spending an arm and a leg.

Make sure the interest is still there after the newness of chicks has worn off. That is my advice, at least then you won't be trying to rehome birds that cost you $20 each.

I already have a chicken, ive had her for 7 years, its not a short term thing:D

I know absolutely nothing about showing chickens except what I saw at the county fair this summer -- which was a 4-H show. That said, I'd probably start with something that you just don't see that much of or hear all that much about. Everyone has Barred Rocks, but how many have Partridge or Silver Penciled Rocks? Lots of folks have white or brown Leghorns, but how often do you see Silver Leghorns? Pick something that will stand out from the crowd and get noticed. That's what I would do anyway..........if I could afford to get caught up in the thought of showing yet another species.

Btw, all breeds mentioned are available through Murray McMurray, though I'm not trying to get them any business (I'm still holding a grudge this week), but they have a pretty good selection of rare and unusual breeds/varieties.

Back
Top Bottom