Show him whos boss?

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Do you show a Rooster your the top roo even when he is behaving, or when he just gets out of control? I don't want to show him I'm at the top when it's too late.

I have only had one mean roo and he had to leave. All the other roos I have had just seem to know who is boss. I think the less attention I pay to them, the better they behave. If you start messing with him, he might see your behavior as a challenge and try to continue to challenge you everytime you go in the pen. I would leave him alone unless he started the aggression. JMO.

Don't screw with him until it becomes necessary. My roo sees me and comes after me. If I'm in the mood I pick him up and carry him around for the girls to see but usually I just RUN FOR MY LIFE
wee.gif

I let the roosters know I'm the boss from the start. I don't move out of their way, they must move out of mine. I've had 2 mean roosters, neither one lives here anymore. I'm a mean old lady when it comes to who's in charge!

Thankfully, I've only had bantam silkies & cochins so don't know what I'd do if a big Jersey Giant roo got fiesty! But I understood the way to throw them off is to pick them up. Yeah I know, a big roo that's crazy. But thinking about it....putting a rake or broom at them just fuels aggression or bring out their protectiveness & territoriality. Picking them up, they wouldn't know what to do!
IF children were at the home, the roo would be gone....no question. I was cornered as a kid by a white leghorn and have never forgotten him!

Last edited by a moderator:
i once had jersey giant that was very aggressive to people. i tried picking him up,fending him off with a stick, nothing worked. as i said " i once had a rooster...". aggressive roosters have to go, they can hurt you.

I did the "pick-'em-up" thing when my Alpha roo Turk would try to challenge me, aka attempting to mate the hens in my presence. It backfired. Now he deliberately challenges me to get me to pick him up - so he can get a free hug. Yes, he's goofy.
idunno.gif

Perhaps this was newbie ignorance but I've treated my roo the same as the hens since the day I got them as babies. I still go out and snuggle him and make him give me goodnight kisses and I've never had any trouble with him. Granted he's a BO which are known to be more docile but I also think it has a lot to do with the attention he's gotten from the beginning.

No mean rooster gets to reside here, period. I don't have to show my boys who is boss. If I do, then they'll be on the next train to Freezer Camp. Good temperament is largely inherited. They are what they are. Handling them only makes that show itself sooner, meaning he can be the friendliest chick in the bunch, but when the hormones start flowing, he may be comfy enough with you to take you on and challenge you. If it's not in him to be aggressive to people, then you can handle him or not handle him, and it won't make any difference in the outcome.
Aggression toward humans is not tolerated here. I have two Barred Rocks, one Blue Orpington and the Delaware in my avatar, all good boys. I also have an up-and-coming 15 week old blue wheaten Ameraucana cockerel who is just now getting to the point when I'll know if he's going to become aggressive or not, so fingers crossed that Levi doesn't shoot himself in the tail feathers and have to leave.

mmm i guess its best to show him who is boss when it is required..but at a young age they can also be tought
how to also respect without showing any agressive standings..
i raise shamo and saipans..tall birds and these are suppose to be tough and agressive due to their game background..
and their size helps alot..but ive found that handled roosters actually become less agressive and friendlier to people
than those just let to raom...they become more wild..
also i guess the temperament of the roo counts they are individuals like everything else
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom