Show me pictures of your mixed breeds

I am always amazed at the color differences between male and female. Since there are sometimes females with male coloring, I wonder if someone could create a breed that has male coloring on both?

The color on the males is actually one of the main things I want to elevate from my line. This is not the color the males should have. Now, if you're asking about making a breed where the feathers themselves would be male-specific on both sexes, I have no idea

Jersey Giant x RIR, gender unknown. Currently 3 weeks.
Probably male, with that much comb at 3 weeks.

I am always amazed at the color differences between male and female. Since there are sometimes females with male coloring, I wonder if someone could create a breed that has male coloring on both?
You probably cannot create a breed with male coloring in both sexes.

There is a particular gene (hen feathering) that makes a male chicken have hen-shaped and hen-colored feathers. Sebrights are the best-known breed with that gene.

I do not think there is any gene that causes male traits in a healthy hen. (Hens can have male feathering if they have certain kinds of hormone problems, but that would typically make them unable to lay eggs, which would obviously be a problem if you wanted to breed from there.

The color on the males is actually one of the main things I want to elevate from my line. This is not the color the males should have. Now, if you're asking about making a breed where the feathers themselves would be male-specific on both sexes, I have no idea
I was reading an article a while back where it talked about using a female with male specific coloring if you wanted to create a show-quality rooster of a particular breed. It seems a natural extension.

Well, an established landrace would be considered a breed, so no. Even in its country of origin the landrace differs quite a bit from line to line, so uniformity is still far away
An established landrace is not necessarily a recognized breed. Most healthy landraces have a great deal of variation, far more than would be acceptable in a breed standard.

I was asking if you're just starting the process of creating a local landrace, or if this landrace has existed for a while.

Back
Top Bottom