Show me your brooder set-up!

We did a new setup this year! Normally we brood chicks in a plastic container bin in the bathtub (eventually upgrading to a large dog crate) with a heat lamp. This year we got more chicks than usual so we actually bought a cheap "coop" on amazon and set it up in the kitchen...I wouldn't keep big chickens in it but it makes a great brooder! We're also trying a heat panel instead of a lamp this time. We had an old "cozy coop" brand panel and propped it up horizontally on some pots and a brick so it slopes down in the back for more of a heat gradient. Didn't want to spend more money on a Brinsea heater when we had this one already so....kind of janky but it works! So far so good, everyone seems happy. Eventually we'll be able to move the whole thing outside as a transitional "coop" after they feather out (it has a roof that closes).

(Also wanted to add, we were out of shavings when this was taken but we put shavings on the newspaper)

Attachments

• IMG_4047.jpg
    IMG_4047.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
We did a new setup this year! Normally we brood chicks in a plastic container bin in the bathtub (eventually upgrading to a large dog crate) with a heat lamp. This year we got more chicks than usual so we actually bought a cheap "coop" on amazon and set it up in the kitchen...I wouldn't keep big chickens in it but it makes a great brooder! We're also trying a heat panel instead of a lamp this time. We had an old "cozy coop" brand panel and propped it up horizontally on some pots and a brick so it slopes down in the back for more of a heat gradient. Didn't want to spend more money on a Brinsea heater when we had this one already so....kind of janky but it works! So far so good, everyone seems happy. Eventually we'll be able to move the whole thing outside as a transitional "coop" after they feather out (it has a roof that closes).

Only thing I'd caution you about is the newspaper as the flooring, it can get slippery and contribute to splayed legs (even if you haven't had issues with it, I'd encourage others to look for a safer flooring). And I'd cut a couple windows in it, since once you take it outside it's going to be dark in there and lacking ventilation (like most prefabs). Otherwise not a bad idea and it's probably not too tough to move.

Only thing I'd caution you about is the newspaper as the flooring, it can get slippery and contribute to splayed legs (even if you haven't had issues with it, I'd encourage others to look for a safer flooring). And I'd cut a couple windows in it, since once you take it outside it's going to be dark in there and lacking ventilation (like most prefabs). Otherwise not a bad idea and it's probably not too tough to move.
Thank you for pointing that out! I forgot to mention that. We added shavings over the newspaper shortly after (we were just out when the picture was taken). Good point about the ventilation, that's probably the biggest con of that "coop", we'll definitely be adding a window or two when it's time to move.

Thank you for pointing that out! I forgot to mention that. We added shavings over the newspaper shortly after (we were just out when the picture was taken). Good point about the ventilation, that's probably the biggest con of that "coop", we'll definitely be adding a window or two when it's time to move.

Sounds perfect then! I figure if/when my current brooder finally falls apart, I'd get one of these rabbit hutch style units to serve as the next brooder.

First timers here, we picked up our 6 chicks yesterday. Simple plastic tote setup, pine shavings, and homemade feeder and waterer. We are using the ceramic heat bulbs ($10 on Amazon) suspended from a clamp and so far working perfect. If I did it again I would go for the 100W instead of 60W, mine needs to be very close to the bedding to hit 90F. I plan to move them to an intermediate larger setup in a few weeks before moving them outside!
92FED8B6-DF67-45AA-9F5C-DB097A9E9A85.jpeg

First timers here, we picked up our 6 chicks yesterday. Simple plastic tote setup, pine shavings, and homemade feeder and waterer. We are using the ceramic heat bulbs ($10 on Amazon) suspended from a clamp and so far working perfect.
FYI do not rely on the lamp's clamp to hold... they're well known for failing. I would suggest securely wiring the hang loop on the lamp to the clamped extension arm you're using to currently support the heat lamp.

I’ve used cardboard boxes, plastic totes, a guinea pig cage & a rabbit hutch. All worked well. For my latest batch my momma loaned me her puppy playpen and I’m liking it. For heat I’ve used lamps, Christmas lights in a plastic Tupperware and a seed mat. I have this k & h plate now which works great but if I had a bigger batch of chicks I’d add the seed mat for more space. I usually use pine straw or dried grass from the yard for bedding but it’s been really rainy so I have hay and wood shavings in right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 17
brooder 1.jpg

this is my brooder, a friend and I share it, handing it back and forth. I made the the box, she and her family pimped it out with an attached top and handles.

brooder 2.jpg
brooder 3.jpg

I was setting it up in the garage for chicks tomorrow, but it just doesn't seem to get warm enough inside with the lamp above the top.

It got warm enough hanging on the hockey stick, but that just seems so low.

Either way I set it up, I'll have a chain or rope and a nail up above so that it won't just rely on the clamp to stay up.

brooder 4.jpg

The first chicks we got was in 2012, I had the plastic tub in the basement set up. It made a huge dust mess in the whole basement.

I'm just not sure this is going to be warm enough in the garage. I think I'd thought that for my 2016 chicks and I had them in the plastic tub in the basement for a couple weeks. My husband said no, they were in the garage the whole time (though he'd say that just so they don't go in the basement.

When does the dust creation of chicks start? Would they not be so messy for a week or two? Or is it a dusty mess from the beginning?

Attachments

• brooder 2.jpg
    brooder 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
  • brooder 1.jpg
    brooder 1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom