Show me your coops! I need ideas!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AppleCrisp, Dec 29, 2008.

1. AppleCrisp

AppleCrisp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    I'm possibly going to be building a coop in the spring and I want to see some coops so I can get some ideas! [​IMG] So post your coops! [​IMG]

Also what would you do to make a great coop? Any tips to make mangement easier?
    And what would you like to avoid when making a coop?

Thanks!

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Heya - what size coop are you needing? I have a big coop (a building I bought) but I also have a smaller coop - which is actually three coops in one, so it could be made smaller with just one cell instead of three.

If you click under my name on the Website or View My BYC Page you'll get to my pages with my coop pics. The main page is the building I bought, the other one we built is under "the new coop" link at the top of the main page. It turned out nice, has slider windows (hubby's idea).

If you want a smaller coop, though, you can access all of the coops that were in contests through a link on BYC, and check them out by size (small medium or large). I think there is probably a "sticky" (top of the threads) under Coop Design. A lot of folks on here have done some wonderful coops.

eta - best tip I can give, if you build a run (outdoor area fenced in) put Sand in the bottom of it for easy cleanup and less mud/stink/poo

eta again - here's the link to all the coop pages https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

meri

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
  3. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    Thanks. I'm wanting a small to medium sized coop. And I want a large run. [​IMG] Thanks I'll definatly take a look.

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do you live? Northern coops and southern coops are different. Mine is an open-air design because we practically live on the face of the sun down here. (Yes, my kids were in the pool TODAY!!!)

This is the front:
    [​IMG]

This is the side:
    [​IMG]

5. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    Nice coop! I'm northern! Very northern! lol I'm up in Manitoba Canada. We can get up to -50 with wind chill, not always but its been there [​IMG] lol

6. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    not finished yet. just put metal roof on today. still need welded wire mesh, doors, paint and chicks. coop is 6x4' and run is 10x6' with more space underneath .
    [​IMG]
    i might end up moving nest boxes on the outside for more room.
    [​IMG]

7. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    If you look at the link in blue below, you can peek at my coop and tractor, I also used a recycled swing set frame that I painted flat black and covered with chicken wire for my meat birds, I do also put a tarp over it (a very large tarp that covers almost the whole thing but leave the ends open for ventilation. Living in a snowy area I would go with the A-frame and in winter cover with plastic or a tarp, the snow will slide right off, and if you have a door on the run have it open inward.

8. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Here is our insulated coop. Size:10 x 10 on the outside and 9 x 9 on the inside. My son and son-in-law are the creators of this coop, and used double sheets of foam board insulation (fiberglas loses it's insulation value if gotten damp.) We are still in the process of working on it, so please ignore the mess outside that is no longer there, and imagine it with siding and paint! [​IMG] We also keep doves and quail in the coop.

We have an outside storage area for tools.

[​IMG]

Quail cage above the nesting boxes

[​IMG]

Feeder and waterers for the quail

[​IMG]

Indoor storage area

[​IMG]

We use an electric oil filled radiator style heater in the coop, which is now out from under the nesting boxes, elevated off the floor, and caged in. Notice next to the heater is a thermostat switch for the heater, so we can better manage the temperatures in the coop. Also, we put down some linoleum on the floor that we had bought for something else, and decided to use it here instead-linoleum-an absolute must-if you don't like cleaning out the coop!!!!! We also painted the inside an off white using a paint that resists mold, and is durable for cleaning.[​IMG]

[​IMG] Since I've got your attention [​IMG] I thought I'd post my favorite picture, at about 2:30 p.m. (Yah, that's afternoon with the sun setting up here,) [​IMG] and one of our doves on the window sill-so peaceful-happy chickens, doves, and quail![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    Nice coops. [​IMG]
    Would it be better to have a run with a roof on it?

I love your quails and there cages. [​IMG] Looks neat... What are quail kept for? lol

What kind of window could i add to the coop thats insulated?

10. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    The quail lay eggs as well. We have Coturnix quail, and their tiny little eggs have way more nutrition than our very nutritious chicken eggs. The eggs make great omelets-you just have to crack a lot of them! [​IMG]

We used a window from Lowe's. It is double payned by Pella.

When we build a run this spring, it will definitely have a roof on it to keep predators out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by