show me your droppings board, please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ebonykawai, Jan 30, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm still a bit clueless about droppings boards. Are they removeable? A tray? Tarp? Or just an area under the roost that can be scooped out? Please post some pics if you have them, I'm feeling st00pid. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Here's the one in my main coop.

[​IMG]

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that a sandy pit? That looks easy, just scoop out?

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i'd imagine you just use a kitty litter scooper.

5. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    Can't take pictures now, they've gone to bed and they get really mad at me when I wake them to flash lights in their faces:)

I have one droppings board that is just a plywood shelf under the roost it has linoleum on it, since it cleans easier than painted plywood. Every day I take a camper sized dust pan push all the droppings into a big metal dust pan, it only takes a second. I also have one that has wire between the roost and the droppings board, we used half inch wire, which worked great when they were young. I clean that one out from outside we have a door that opens to it.

In the newer coop I made a 2 by 4 frame and attached wire to the bottom and 2 by 3's to top for roosts but would attach 2 by 6's next time or something to get their tails up off the wire. I have 2 hinges attaching the frame to a 2 by 3 or 4 on the back wall, so I can lift it up, I stick a 9"scrap of 2 by 4 under it when I clean off the plywood underneath .

So there are many ways to make and use droppings boards, you just have to figure out what's best for you. If you use screws and don't like what you made you can always change it.

Sorry, forgot I'd taken some photos, they aren't very good and things were a little messy, but they should give you an idea of what they are. I can take the frame out by popping the pins out of the hinges, so I can hose down and scrub the frame and wire in the spring. The floor does stay a lot cleaner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cindy

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    My dropping board doubles as the top of the nest boxes. It's covered in linoleum for easy clean up. Just scoop the poop! [​IMG] It can also come completely out for deep cleaning. I scoop it every night and put fresh pine shavings on it. Oh yea, I use a dust pan to clean it with.

[​IMG]

7. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hey Smitty's Farm

Is the third egg in teh box, pink or brown? Looks brown to my bro and parents.

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:[​IMG] I don't know.....it might be a fake ceramic egg that I use to put in there when they first started laying, but I do have one EE girl that will lay a light pinkish tan one. My flock lays brown (RIR), light brown or tan (SLW), & green (EE).

9. mattmatts-momma

mattmatts-momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    How wide should the dropping board be?

10. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Im trying to eat my dinner here however I use a flattened feed bag, they use a plastic woven fabric here.
    I put them all overlapping each other then the pineshavings and hay on top, then i just pull it all out in one piece folding up the sides as I pull so as not to disturb it and create Deadly dust.
    You have to be really careful of the fine dust, it can give you chlamydia pnuemonia, been there done that!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by