Show me your duck coops! Update: also looking for duckling brooders

Also... our temps are so ridiculous that we use tarps to keep them warm during cold snaps. they are easily bungee corded to the coop and removable during the days that get sweaty!

My hoops are covered with one or two tarps and my chickens seem fine. Though the roosters might get a frost bite or two. Same happens in the wooden coop too.

Here is mine.  I'm in Florida so mine is  basically open air.  One corner is covered.

During construction
43796_framecomplete.jpg

Finished
43796_duck_run_001.jpg

How did you attach the chicken wire onto the wooden post

( this is probably a really dump question )

Alright, I have a question! I am getting 5 ducklings in February, and am extremely excited! I already have three chicken coops, but was hoping to leave them to the hens, and make a hillbilly set up for the ducks. I have a really large camper that Is set up on three layers of cinder blocks. Right now it is home to an extremely nasty rooster who will soon be going home to a place called the freezer.. Question, if I made it 100% predator proof, ( right now it's not; I really don't care what happens to the jerk living in there.), and let the five ducks free range with my chickens, and splash around in their personal kiddie pool, would the redneck camper work until i can build a nicer home? Thanks for any responses!

saltandpepper2, I love your profile picture! Trying to breathe...

You probably could use it. If it is not too embarrassing, could I see a picture?

Haha, thanks, I love anything that has to do with Tolkien :p

I honestly don't care, my chicken coops are adorable ( if i do say so myself) but this was put together in a day after a young rooster decided to take on the main rooster. So, this isn't mine, but basically same concept. Mine is on a layer of cinder blocks since the rooster inside is HUGE.

If fifty-year-old wood, pit liner, and tarps are cute, my coops are awful spiffy, too. Yeah, that should work. IF the ducks decide to actually go into it. It is a constant battle here, trying to get a dozen ducks into their coop every night. We have had completely free range ducks here before year round, and they do just fine. They typically do not mind the elements, just predators.

Back
Top Bottom