Show me your duck waterers!

WaitWaitWhat

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
Duck parents, please show me pictures and/or explanations of how you provide drinking water for your ducks!
I only have two, so I don’t need anything huge. Right now, they’re drinking from a gallon ice cream tub with a few holes cut in the side. What I have is working ok... they jump on top and I know it’s going to get covered in poo soon enough. I would love something better for when they are fully grown, but most of the watering systems I see online are huge. I’m hoping that someone can show me something much smaller 🤞🏻😁
Thanks, y’all!

Do the same thing with a five gallon bucket. It’s deep enough they can dunk their heads, only provides about 2.5 to 3 gallons total and you can keep a lid on it so the ducks can’t get in. They work great for my flock, they’re cheap and easily obtainable from walmart, Home Depot, etc.

Do the same thing with a five gallon bucket. It’s deep enough they can dunk their heads, only provides about 2.5 to 3 gallons total and you can keep a lid on it so the ducks can’t get in. They work great for my flock, they’re cheap and easily obtainable from walmart, Home Depot, etc.
Thank you! I did see that solution as well, I was just wondering if there was anything different out there 🙃

I have roughly $12 "automatic" stock tank valves attached to PVC gutters. The other end connects to a 275 gallon, rainwater filled tote.

Ducks get things really dirty, really fast, so be sure you can easily hinge it or pick it up to dump it, but its mounted well enough not to spill or keep running when they stumble into it. Basically, I mounted the gutter to a 2x6. The valve is tensioned against that (those arms on the back wont secure to anything much smaller, and the gutter material is too thin to be stable. The whole arrangement hinges at on side of the 2x6, the other side ensures its stable on the ground and level.

Still needs periodic scrubbing.

I've also used automatic dog watering bowls. The plastic flanges at the sides are thin and break easily. The hole for filling is at the bottom of the bowl, so fills with mud and "stuff" quickly - which then flows back into the actual fill valve. Oh yeah, and the plastic bit where the hose attaches? Bunch of rubber grommets and adaptors. Leaks. Apart from that, it works, and I continue to use one - to water the goats. Elevated it so the birds (mostly) stay out of it.

Back
Top Bottom