Show me your egg box opening systems please

rnchick74

Urban Chick Keeper
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Louisville KY
My coop is done & I'm about to paint & put the last finishing touches on it. I had a local handyman build the actual coop, but a friend & myself did some tweaks to it - more ventilation, poop board, roost, etc.

The issue I'm having now is that on the egg box door, the type of hinge/lock that was put in to keep it open while I collect eggs is failing. The door has slammed down on my arm multiple times now & I've almost broken my arm! Due to recent shoulder surgery, I do need something that doesn't take a lot of force to close, or isn't difficult to operate.

So I thought I would come here & see what others have has success with.

Here is what my coop looks like & what the egg door looks like:

You can sort of see the 1 locking hinge that was used. I think the issue is that the door is too heavy for the hinge. I did try putting 2 of the same hinges & it was a little more stable, but quite difficult to release the lock on both hinges & lower the door with my shoulder.

Here is a link to the actual hinge that is being used: http://www.lowes.com/pd_311972-1277...rentURL=?Ntt=brass+folding+support&facetInfo=

So please post examples of your solutions that have worked for similar egg box lids. I need something that is secure, so it doesn't slam down unexpected on me or my son & if you have something that makes it easier to life the heavy lid that would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom I've always found here!

Nice coop! Could the front panel be changed to being the door? You would avoid having to lift the heavy roof for eggs and instead swing it open or drop it down. But for cleaning out you could have both the roof and new egg door opened!

Nice coop! Could the front panel be changed to being the door? You would avoid having to lift the heavy roof for eggs and instead swing it open or drop it down. But for cleaning out you could have both the roof and new egg door opened!
I thought about that, but it is beyond my technical means. I've tried calling the handyman & of course he has 1 plan he makes & anything different from that plan you have to do yourself. Grrr. Well, the coop was a steal, so I can't complain much.

I'm thinking maybe some sort of pulley/counterweight system? Anyone ever used one of those?

Easy peas. Go to hardware store and tell the guy you need a safety hinge for a Trunk!. they all have them, they keep kids from getting into blanket chests and trunks and getting fingers or heads smashed and from being trapped inside. $7 fix.

You're right, what you've got is not heavy duty enough.... and it may be installed not quite at the right angle.....or backwards because you probably knock inwards and it releases.

I'm thinking car hood prop...but you'd need something a bit smaller probably.

I can think of several solutions but you'd need to be handy with a saw and drill screw driver....hook and chain at both ends might work if you can install those.

You also need a double action latch on that lid to keep coons outta there....and on your other doors too.

Nice little coop!

I'm thinking maybe some sort of pulley/counterweight system? Anyone ever used one of those?
That's what I would do. The simplest approach would be a length of para cord attached to the front edge of the lid at the center, running through a pulley (or even and eye hook) to the front of the coop, and through another pulley down toward the bottom of the coop. If you need a mechanical advantage, you can add a weight, or configure a small block and tackle.

That's what I would do. The simplest approach would be a length of para cord attached to the front edge of the lid at the center, running through a pulley (or even and eye hook) to the front of the coop, and through another pulley down toward the bottom of the coop. If you need a mechanical advantage, you can add a weight, or configure a small block and tackle.
That may be what I end up with, since it would help with the weight of the lid - that thing is heavy with the roofing material on it - about 30 lbs!

You're right, what you've got is not heavy duty enough.... and it may be installed not quite at the right angle.....or backwards because you probably knock inwards and it releases.

I'm thinking car hood prop...but you'd need something a bit smaller probably.

I can think of several solutions but you'd need to be handy with a saw and drill screw driver....hook and chain at both ends might work if you can install those.

You also need a double action latch on that lid to keep coons outta there....and on your other doors too.

Nice little coop!
I'm somewhat handy & I have a friend who is even handier - we just can't do major reconstruction. It's not in the pics, but I do have a lock on the lid as well as double locks on the other doors. No coons or kids breaking in! The run will also have a lock on the outside once we get that built.

Chain and hook will also work.
That's an idea, I just worry about how I'm going to lift the lid up that high. It's heavy & sometimes hurts my shoulder.

Easy peas. Go to hardware store and tell the guy you need a safety hinge for a Trunk!. they all have them, they keep kids from getting into blanket chests and trunks and getting fingers or heads smashed and from being trapped inside. $7 fix.
I will definitely look into that - thanks!

Today I did get more work on - blackjack 57 on the coop floor...another great idea from here. I'm also using it on my roost and poop board. I've installed my roost flat side up & on joist hangers so it will be easy to remove and clean - another idea I saw here. I installed additional ventilation that isn't seen in the pics - I didn't think it had enough. I'm going to take some more pics tomorrow of the additional changes.

I've got time to figure out the egg door - chicks are still pretty young.

Back
Top Bottom