Show Me Your Feeders!!

Pics
I come bearing pictures of how to make this feeder with a 90-degree street elbow (hub & spigot) per LoneOak's instructions. (Hope I got it right!)

This is the street elbow with a hub end (the big part) and a spigot end (the narrower part with the flange). This method won't work with a plain 90-degree street elbow because the parts won't fit into one another at the end (you'll see). I had to check online before I purchased it because not all Home Depot's carry them. Here's a link to the product: http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-3-...Street-Elbow-C48072HD3/100347226#.UnBRP3BwpLc

I started by cutting off the hub end right where it meets the pipe. I didn't need to make another cut after this because after I had cut the hub off, the cut end was still a 90-degree angle to the spigot end, which would allow it to be parallel to the floor of the bucket after installation.

To determine where to cut my hole, I put a scrap piece of 1"x2" under the cut end of the elbow (to ensure the pipe is 3/4" off the floor of the bucket after installation) and traced the hole on the outside of the bucket.

After I cut my hole I put the spigot end (the narrow bit) through the hole. You can see below the flange doesn't allow it to move any farther outside the bucket, which is good.

Here you can see the spigot end coming out of the bucket and the hub that I will flip around and put over the spigot to keep the elbow from falling back in the bucket.

And here it is! No glue required, it's a tight fit. There's a little play in the elbow but it can't fall in or out of the bucket so it still works. I opted for the fancy screw-top for my bucket but if I had gone with a plain lid I could have made this for a total of $10 and about 15 minutes.

Jimmy, some of us country boys don't even have one of those smart I-apple phone things with a camera in it, LOL, my phone still plugs in the wall and the wire ain't long enough to reach the chicken coop. My other camera is busted and Have you tried to find someone to develop KodaChrome color film these days? After that I got to try and figure out a way to put them pictures in this computer so they run down the wire to your house where you can see em along with those folks in Kalifornia and New York City. Them New York City folks couldn't raise no chickens anyway.

(I'm really not that much country, I'm just struggling to live on disability and don't have any spare money).

I've got to build a friend of mine a feeder in the next few days and will try and get some pics of the complete project then.
And I thought I was going to be the last guy on EARTH to only have a (as I called it) "dumb phone" that couldn't talk or text.... but in May of this year I broke down and got a cheap Android smart phone from Straight Talk (no contract and I love it)!

I come bearing pictures of how to make this feeder with a 90-degree street elbow (hub & spigot) per LoneOak's instructions. (Hope I got it right!)

This is the street elbow with a hub end (the big part) and a spigot end (the narrower part with the flange). This method won't work with a plain 90-degree street elbow because the parts won't fit into one another at the end (you'll see). I had to check online before I purchased it because not all Home Depot's carry them. Here's a link to the product: http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-3-...Street-Elbow-C48072HD3/100347226#.UnBRP3BwpLc

I started by cutting off the hub end right where it meets the pipe. I didn't need to make another cut after this because after I had cut the hub off, the cut end was still a 90-degree angle to the spigot end, which would allow it to be parallel to the floor of the bucket after installation.

To determine where to cut my hole, I put a scrap piece of 1"x2" under the cut end of the elbow (to ensure the pipe is 3/4" off the floor of the bucket after installation) and traced the hole on the outside of the bucket.

After I cut my hole I put the spigot end (the narrow bit) through the hole. You can see below the flange doesn't allow it to move any farther outside the bucket, which is good.

Here you can see the spigot end coming out of the bucket and the hub that I will flip around and put over the spigot to keep the elbow from falling back in the bucket.

And here it is! No glue required, it's a tight fit. There's a little play in the elbow but it can't fall in or out of the bucket so it still works. I opted for the fancy screw-top for my bucket but if I had gone with a plain lid I could have made this for a total of $10 and about 15 minutes.

I have to tell you this is one of the VERY best DIY instructions I've read on BYC!!!!!!!!!!!! I did delete your pictures in my reply to save space in the thread.

BRILLIANT idea to sit it on a 1x2 and to trace the hole!!!! Brilliant!!!!!!!! I just eye-balled mine.

And now you've done it................ Tomorrow I have to go to Home Depot and get one of these elbows..... Only 8 in stock at my store and they are only $3.53 each!!!! I can make this feeder for $3.74 including tax!!!!!!!!! But why does the picture on HD's website look different than the one in your picture???? The HD website doesn't look like a 90 degree.... Ummmmm?????

Now I just wish I lived somewhere that I could sell these already made for $10 bucks.

Last edited:
I have to tell you this is one of the VERY best DIY instructions I've read on BYC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! And thanks to LoneOak for the idea!
big_smile.png

Thank you! And thanks to LoneOak for the idea!
big_smile.png
You got it GeekySheep and it does look good for sure. Jimmy the elbows at my local Lowe's don't look exactly like the one that GS used they don't have the flange on the inside like his does but they still work great. I also have been using the flat side buckets that cat litter (and a lot of other stuff) comes in like the one you used for your waterers.

You got it GeekySheep and it does look good for sure.  Jimmy the elbows at my local Lowe's don't look exactly like the one that GS used they don't have the flange on the inside like his does but they still work great.  I also have been using the flat side buckets that cat litter (and a lot of other stuff) comes in like the one you used for your waterers.

Doesnt look like this will work from Lowes.

Doesnt look like this will work from Lowes.

If the hub is still big enough to fit snugly on the other end it could still work, it just wouldn't have the flange on the inside to keep the elbow from being pushed/pulled out of the bucket without glue. Edit: Which might not even be a problem!

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:
It will work because that is what I used. It doesn't have the flange and you may have to cut it twice, once to remove the hub and again to get the right depth at 90degrees to the spigot. Lay a T-square across the spigot end and move it up and down to find where you want to cut it.

LoneOak... Would love your thoughts........

It doesn't appear that the street elbow that I posted will really do anything better than the basic old 90 degree elbow to me.

The Street is about $3.85 each and the plain one is around $2.85, so I'd rather just save the $1.

Is there really any benefit in cutting off the red end (pictured below) and putting it on the blue end since the blue end doesn't have any flange to keep it from falling out of the bucket?

Seems you might just as well cut off the blue end and put the elbow into the bucket....... and if you're going to do that you might as well use the cheap elbow.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom