Show Me Your Isolation Areas

We have what my daughters lovingly call the "crate tower" just inside our sliding glass door. We have a handful of hens that come inside to lay their eggs everyday, the roosters come in at night for the neighbors, and we've also used the biggest one for a broody/hospital suite when needed.

Hens pictured top to bottom:
Phyllis (PBR), Gladys (RIR), and Blanche (BO)

Attachments

• PXL_20231220_133954984.jpg
    PXL_20231220_133954984.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
our current is a foldable medium wire dog crate that was our midsize brooder. it comes in or goes out as needed. most recently it was used while 2 of our girls were drying out after a spa day to soak the clayballs off their talons. if its more than one bird for more than a few hours, i have an old pack and play that i made a wire lid for.
I have to admit a pack and play with a wire lid is a phenomenal idea that I just might steal when chicken math inevitably strikes again.

yeah the side mesh is definitely not for long term, i'm contemplating how to sew wire to the outside to make it a bit more beak resistant
Don't even want to think about how many needles I'd break on my sewing machine trying to pull that one off. I think that would have to be hand sewing.

If you wanted something that could be sewn on with a sewing machine though I know they have some pretty heavy duty nylon mesh that might work and still be sewable.

Don't even want to think about how many needles I'd break on my sewing machine trying to pull that one off. I think that would have to be hand sewing.

If you wanted something that could be sewn on with a sewing machine though I know they have some pretty heavy duty nylon mesh that might work and still be sewable.
We have used a shade cloth to cover a run that would be sturdy enough. Got a 15’x6’ for $40 at Lowe’s .

i was planning on putting gorilla glue waterproof tape around the edge of the hardware cloth and then just using a sail needle to blanket stitch it to the existing fabric and if necessary, stitching it to the frame itself. part of why this pack and play got retired early is the lock got broken and it can't be collapsed any longer. if its still cold when i go to do it i will most decidedly be doing so near a nice warm fire :D

We're starting to plan out our next iteration of coop and run. I'd love to see (or hear about) how you separate chickens that are sick, broody, or bullies.
  • Does one isolation area cover all these scenarios?
  • Do you have multiple "bays" for multiple chickens?
  • Do you prefer to place it in the coop or run?
  • Do you provide extras, such as a nest box (for non-broodies) or a roosting bar?
Our previous setup wasn't ideal. It took up too much run space when not in use (it was practically a chicken apartment 😅), and wasn't 100% weatherproof at the walls. We've also used a dog crate within that space, but I didn't love that for long-term recoveries. I'm hoping to come up with a creative solution for the next round.

View attachment 3717997
This is interesting. But I don't see any outside, fresh air places in your set up?

Back
Top Bottom