Show me your nest boxes! + some questions

Yes.
Curious to see how you have them set up for easy access for the birds and also still be able to use the lid for closing off nests.
We've got a video up now on our YouTube channel (link in my signature) on how Dan made and installed these - and how the chickens are liking them. I don't want to link to it in my post - do not want anyone thinking it is spam? Is it allowed? 🤷‍♀️ It is our most recent video - posted yesterday. We are thinking of putting some traction strips on the inside of the lids where they jump up. What do you think?

We've got a video up now on our YouTube channel (link in my signature) on how Dan made and installed these - and how the chickens are liking them. I don't want to link to it in my post - do not want anyone thinking it is spam? Is it allowed? 🤷‍♀️ It is our most recent video - posted yesterday. We are thinking of putting some traction strips on the inside of the lids where they jump up. What do you think?
You can link a vid on your posts, I'm not going to scroll thru your channel trying to find it.....I'd rather just see a few pics tho.

You bet! He ended up using coated wire - these are really stable. I am surprised how stable the lid is when open. The hens had no trouble jumping up and standing on the lids, save for just a bit of foot sliding on the lid - that's why we are thinking of the tractions trips, though they did not seem to mind. Keyholes on the back made a really stable attachment to the walls. I am a little concerned about the nesting material. The hay seems like it's not very soft to lay on. I don't know if that matters for them?

Linking now to the video also in case anyone else is interested in seeing the full process - the video also shows them jumping up on it. Timestamp 9:26 on this shows where they are jumping up.

Attachments

• Snapshot_361.png
    Snapshot_361.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • Snapshot_363.png
    Snapshot_363.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Snapshot_364.png
    Snapshot_364.png
    649.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Snapshot_365.png
    Snapshot_365.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Snapshot_366.png
    Snapshot_366.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You bet! He ended up using coated wire - these are really stable. I am surprised how stable the lid is when open. The hens had no trouble jumping up and standing on the lids, save for just a bit of foot sliding on the lid - that's why we are thinking of the tractions trips, though they did not seem to mind. Keyholes on the back made a really stable attachment to the walls. I am a little concerned about the nesting material. The ha
Pretty slick...great job with the lid cables and keyhole hangers!
They might try to roost on top, especially if nests are higher than roosts.
A sharply angled board on top will take care of that.
....and can they get into the lower nest when the upper ones are open?
Might not even need those upper nests, I have 4 nests for up to 18 birds and it works out fine.

The hay might seem 'poky' but they'll tamp it down.
I use straw but stuff a flake in tight and bowl it out a bit and push down any sharper piece sticking up. When they first start laying, and even after, they can tear the bedding up rather exuberantly.

You bet! He ended up using coated wire - these are really stable. I am surprised how stable the lid is when open. The hens had no trouble jumping up and standing on the lids, save for just a bit of foot sliding on the lid - that's why we are thinking of the tractions trips, though they did not seem to mind. Keyholes on the back made a really stable attachment to the walls. I am a little concerned about the nesting material. The hay seems like it's not very soft to lay on. I don't know if that matters for them?

Linking now to the video also in case anyone else is interested in seeing the full process - the video also shows them jumping up on it. Timestamp 9:26 on this shows where they are jumping up.

Quite clever!

Don't worry about the hay. They'll arrange it to their liking.

Pretty slick...great job with the lid cables and keyhole hangers!
They might try to roost on top, especially if nests are higher than roosts.
A sharply angled board on top will take care of that.
....and can they get into the lower nest when the upper ones are open?
Might not even need those upper nests, I have 4 nests for up to 18 birds and it works out fine.

The hay might seem 'poky' but they'll tamp it down.
I use straw but stuff a flake in tight and bowl it out a bit and push down any sharper piece sticking up. When they first start laying, and even after, they can tear the bedding up rather exuberantly.
Thank you aart! There are 16" in between the lids when they are open so I think it will be okay? Good to know about the hay - I will probably go in and squish it down a bit and bowl it out as you were talking about. After shooting the video, we opened them all up and one jumped up on top of the top nest box and then just plopped down on the lid to check out the inside. If they start roosting up there we will definitely need that angled board. 👍

Back
Top Bottom