Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

My latest pallet project! I've been thinking about making an old-fashioned well to cover our wellhead for a long time and I finally gathered and broke down enough pallets and had good enough weather to build it. Took me two afternoons. It cost me nothing (except for the screws and glue)!

View attachment 3788652
O that is wonderful!!!! 😍😍😍 Did you have building plans to work from?

Thank you! It is my own design, but I did get ideas from photos on the internet and the idea for the pallet planks fastened on the inside of the frame from you, so thank you for that!! I don't like following written plans. I'm weird like that. 😆

I might post some dimensions and process photos and such on my shop website (which is currently in progress).
Bless you for sharing ♥️ I'm not a fine builder but I'll certainly have fun trying to make one of those 😁

I have not considered using an angle grinder to break down pallets. I have a couple of angle grinders so it would be no big deal to pick up a cutting disc like you posted.

:idunno I am familiar with using a circular saw to cut the planks off the 2X4 stretchers. I am familiar with using a demolition blade to cut off the nails in the planks to remove them. In what way(s) do you use the angle grinder to breakdown your pallets? I'm all for exploring new ways to disassemble pallets.

⚠️ A big concern of mine would be actually using the angle grinder. It was drilled into my head that the angle grinder is one of the most dangerous tools in the shop because of the very high spinning speed of the disc. Also, there is a higher chance of kick back with an angle grinder compared to the reciprocating or circular saw. Would you please address any safety concerns you might have using an angle grinder to breakdown your pallets? Thanks.
I've seen pictures of people injured using those. I have one and use it but I got a full coverage face shield I use with it. They make them for welding. I'm not sure how well it'd protect if a blade broke and hit you, but I think it'd deflect it.

Yeah, hubby has told me that the angle grinder is the most dangerous tool he owns. I haven't tried using it yet. I have him do it and observe.

I don't want to say that I am afraid of the angle grinder, but I give it a lot of respect. It has an exposed blade spinning at about 15,000 rpm's. If you lose control of it, it will cut anything it touches.

:love I would never let Dear Wife close to my angle grinders. She just does not have the knowledge or experience to handle a tool like that. Nothing she does would require use of an angle grinder.

It's one of those special tools, for him. He doesn't use it often, but when needed, it is the best, most efficient tool for the job.

That's about it for me as well. Maybe I use an angle grinder 3 or 4 times per year. And, yes, it's the perfect tool for when I need it. I just don't have much call to use it.

I've seen pictures of people injured using those. I have one and use it but I got a full coverage face shield I use with it. They make them for welding. I'm not sure how well it'd protect if a blade broke and hit you, but I think it'd deflect it.

Lots of shop tools can be dangerous if you don't know how to properly handle them. I am a big safety first person when I use my shop tools. The angle grinder is just one of those tools that can be very dangerous even when you use it properly. I use my full coverage face shield as well as gloves.

I have never had an accident using my angle grinders, but I too have seen some of those pictures of injured people from an angle grinder mishap. That's why I am always very careful with that tool.

don't bother. if I had a circular saw I would use it.

Well, I was intrigued at the idea of using an angle grinder to breakdown pallets, but I have circular saws, reciprocating saws, and jig saws. All of those are safer for me to use.

For anyone who wants to consider using an angle grinder to cut wood or breakdown pallets, you might be interested in this 5-minute-long video on the subject...

I put together a riser and mounted it on one of my raised beds. It'll make the soil deep enough for growing a little patch of potatoes. I made it with free, scavenged scraps of wood I had laying around. Not fancy, but it'll work.

IMG_3689.JPG IMG_3690.JPG

Using an angle grinder to break down pallets sounds interesting! I've only ever used angle grinders on metal and metal projects. It's a great tool to get the job done. Certainly has its own danger potential, just as every other tool does. Whatever works for you, works.

I once used a chainsaw to cut 2x4s to frame a wall. 😅 All my cutting tools at the time were corded, and that day I couldn't find my extension cord. But, I was desperate to get the job done, and I had my chainsaw out from tree work from the day before. Decided, what the hell? It'll work.
And it did! Took some more support, was a little harder to work with, and not as precise, but we made it work. Lol

I think my Makita angle grinder is meant to use only dished, offset wheels. I'm not sure if it would be unsafe to use flat wheels on the thing.

With a thin cutoff wheel it was the perfect tool for cutting new vinyl skirting to length when I replaced it around the base of my house last year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom